Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone here tried painting there interior at all? i've seen some of it done on a ranger, which looks like the same material in my 05 SE Taurus. I'm thinking A black and white Design, but it depends on if I get leather seats from a different taurus, or just do seat covers.

My Car is white, and I plan on tinting my windows to 5% all around, except the windshield of course.

Anyways, what have you guys seen? Is it a good idea? and if yes, what kind of paint should I use?

·
Registered
4,522 Posts
somebody did an interior color change to their taurus, cant remember who though or what kind of paint they used. they changed their color from tan to black after they got black leather seats.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Awesome... so that means it can actually be done hah. Does anyone know how rare Black Taurus leather seats would be in pick and pull?

·
Premium Member
2,124 Posts
im pretty sure sojiaraggs9000 did this if i remember correctly

·
Premium Member
1,407 Posts
Close lol... it used to be 2 tone gray interior. I swapped the gen 4 cloth seats out for some gen 2 black leather seats. What I did was swapped the entire seat bottoms so that the gen 4 seat guts what now on the gen 2 seat (pressure plate etc) Then I decided to paint the interior. I used 12 cans of dupli-color vinyl & fabric gloss black spray paint and 6 cans of dupli-Color clear primer adhesion promoter also I got some black replacement molded carpet. The oly problem I have with paint chipping ect is on the kick pannel but that old because i kick it like every time i get out of the car lol :rolleyes2: Here is a good site that tells you the basics of the painting process.

http://www.mustangworld.com/ourpics/fcar/i...teriorpaint.htm

Although now that my car is black it gets rather hot in my car lol... I might be inclined to switch back to gray interior or tan and do that 2 tone idea myself lol :blink:

·
Premium Member
15,578 Posts
It looks hideous. It's impossible to get the coat even, so you'll have heavy spots, spots that are glossier than others, and eventually, it's going to fade unevenly, making your 2005 look even worse than it did when you FIRST painted it.

Just not my cup of tea, and I'd rather throw that out there before you spend hours and hours to paint everything, just to have it look like ****, then spend hundreds or more putting it back to the way it was.

To each his own, I guess.

JR

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Lol well i don't plan on using as many coats of paint as he did... that is alot haha. I also plan on doing black and white, with a nice little taurus logo on the passenger air bag, in white surrounded by black.

·
Premium Member
4,180 Posts
imo.... do some suede on the headliner, dash, and other panels. looks boobies when done correctly.

·
Premium Member
1,407 Posts
It looks hideous. It's impossible to get the coat even, so you'll have heavy spots, spots that are glossier than others, and eventually, it's going to fade unevenly, making your 2005 look even worse than it did when you FIRST painted it.

Just not my cup of tea, and I'd rather throw that out there before you spend hours and hours to paint everything, just to have it look like ****, then spend hundreds or more putting it back to the way it was.

To each his own, I guess.

JR
[/b]

It doesn't look all that bad let me see if i can get some better pics it looks better in person.. sec.... Althogh I do kinda regret doing it but only because black on black is hella hot in west Texas's 100 to 114 summer heat.

·
Premium Member
727 Posts
imo.... do some suede on the headliner, dash, and other panels. looks boobies when done correctly.
[/b]
I was going to do suede as well, but I was highly advised away from it because of it's properties to collect dust, dirt and moisture.

I'd stick with vinyl or other fabric.

·
Premium Member
7,800 Posts
I had a friend who did his old Eclipse's dash and trim panels with black Krylon Fusion paint...I was actually really impressed with how it came out. It was tan from the factory and ended up looking almost factory. That car was mostly hard plastic inside though...he redid all the upholstered parts.

It was a little over the top (it had a silver carbon fiber weave headliner!) but it was very well done - take your time and 95% of it is prep.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts