Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was washing my car the other day, and being a complete and utter rookie at it, I used a scrubbie which is regularly used for dishes. Now, it did a very nice job at first getting all the dirt off, but at a second look, I noticed it took a lot of gloss off my car..

Soo, my question is, does it really matter having that stuff on it [i.e. Rust]? And if so, do I have to repaint it with a clearcoat?

Thanks for any help..

·
Premium Member
15,578 Posts
Well, the paint and the primer that is under your paint is what stops rust. The Clearcoat is just for the protection of the paint and for giving your car a shine. Your car will not rust any faster, but you should definitely get a good coat of wax on there.

Talk to n2_space...he's our resident detailing guru. Take a look at this thread http://www.taurusclub.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=64&st=0 to find out all you need to know about detailing.

If I were you, I would leave the "scrubbie" in the kitchen and go buy yourself a decent wash mitt, along with a bottle of decent car wash detergent. The dawn from the kitchen is good on dishes, but leave it off your car.

JR

1 - 2 of 2 Posts