Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had to replace my pass. side mirror today cause some dumb lady was double parked and decided to open her door while I passed by so **click** went the mirror... anyways I got my replacement mirror today but I need to get the cap painted.
I didn't attach the cap cause it needs to be painted to match the color, it comes with 2 caps one that has a rough texture and the other one is smooth but with a high gloss black.
I need the smooth one. I seen Auto Zone has spray paints that are supposed to "match" your paint color. I have never done this before. Is it easy? Just spray and thats that? or do I need to sand off the gloss and primer and paint it? Or should I just take it to a body shop and have them paint the cap?

·
Premium Member
7,307 Posts
Hah! I once went to a body shop to get a price on a painted mirror cap and they wanted $95!! :eek:

What color do you need?
You're much better hitting a junk yard for the part!! :)

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
Even a cheapo shop will want minimum $60 just for the parts. Like duraSEL said, better to check out a junkyard for a cap...

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I tried salvaging my cap from my car... but I FAILED soooooooo bad :(
**sighs**

·
Premium Member
1,654 Posts
Check out your local auto paint supply store. Here in Ohio I have a Sherwin Williams auto paint store. They will custom mix your factory color into 2 16oz spray cans for around $35 - $40 for the pair. I have used this with my wagon and the match is really good. The biggest differance, its a single stage (no clear coat) where your factory paint is a 2 stage (color base and clear top coat) paint. Check your yellow pages and see what you can find.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks dlc360..... i'm gonna have to look into that.

·
Premium Member
1,018 Posts
I would go with what dlc360 recommends. REAL auto paint costs a lot of money and so does the clear coat. Does the cap need clear coat?

Last year I invested in about $600 in a professional spray gun and compressor to clean-up cosmetic dings and scratches. Mostly front and rear bumper rubbage and scratches. I'll shoot the whole bumper and then clear coat it. It looks really nice.

A trend at the auto dealers is to add and extra clear coat to the bumper and hood where you normally get chips in the paint. This makes a lot of sense so I added 2 or 3 layers of clear coat to my Sable.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts