Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2004 Vulcan. Idle bounces up and down around 100 rpm and headlights flicker. Hesitates some when driving.

After hours of searching here and reading, sounds like a vacuum leak, IAC, and MAF are the first areas to attack. Cleaned the MAF and gave a preliminary check for vac leaks and tapped the IAC without finding anything. Guess I will clean the IAC next and do a better vac leak check. Any other suggestions?

Thanks much for any help you can provide.

Found this somewhere on P2195:

DTC P2195: LACK OF HO2S-11 SWITCH, SENSOR INDICATES LEAN

P2195 - LACK OF HO2S-11 SWITCH, SENSOR INDICATES LEAN

Description:A heated oxygen sensor (HO2S) indicating lean at the end of a test is trying to correct for an over-rich condition. The test fails when the fuel control system no longer detects switching for a calibrated amount of time.

Possible Causes:

Electrical:Short to VPWR in the harness or HO2S Water in the harness connector
Open/shorted HO2S circuit
Corrosion or poor mating terminals and wiring
Damaged HO2S
Damaged powertrain control module (PCM)

Fuel System:
Excessive fuel pressure
Leaking/contaminated fuel injectors
Leaking fuel pressure regulator
Low fuel pressure or running out of fuel
Vapor recovery system

Induction System:
Air leaks after the mass air flow (MAF) sensor
Vacuum leaks
PCV system
Improperly seated engine oil dipstick
Leaking gasket
Stuck EGR valve
Leaking diaphragm or EVR

Base Engine:
Oil overfill
Camshaft timing
Exhaust leaks before or near the HO2S(s)

·
Super Moderator
8,587 Posts
Sounds like you have a fairly bad vacuum leak on bank 1, the firewall bank. An MAF problem would effect both banks. Do you have any freeze frame data for either code? I would look at long term fuel trims on both banks. If bank 1 is very high (20+%) positive, and bank 2 is close to 0%, I suspect intake gaskets. High positive LTFT at idle that decreases under cruise / moderate acceleration will verify a vac leak on bank 1.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sounds like you have a fairly bad vacuum leak on bank 1, the firewall bank. An MAF problem would effect both banks. Do you have any freeze frame data for either code? I would look at long term fuel trims on both banks. If bank 1 is very high (20+%) positive, and bank 2 is close to 0%, I suspect intake gaskets. High positive LTFT at idle that decreases under cruise / moderate acceleration will verify a vac leak on bank 1.
I can't get freeze frame data now cause for some reason my reader errors out on this guy. Says it can't communicate.

Got the propane out and looked for vacuum leaks without finding any. Might not have gotten back by the firewall good enough though.

I did find a bubbling or popping or gurgling sound coming from the air intake area that might be from downstream. Not sure what that is about.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts