Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
953 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just gave the bull, which has just shy of 60K miles on it, a nice wash, wax and interior clean. I thought I was being nice. The little lady has some girls coming into town and I figured they'd enjoy a clean car to travel around in.

Anyways, we were heading down to the airport and the car throws a YELLOW wrench symbol and starts stumbling and puttering. Thankfully we were not on the highway just yet. I was able to pull over and read the codes (I always keep my pocketscan OBDII scanner in the arm rest for just such an occasion).

The code was P2111 indicating a throttle body issue.

Do these just go like this? I haven't had any issues at all.

I see a YouTube video that seems to point out that they are fairly easy to remove and replace and then even has the reset procedure. While it's a fusion in the video, it should be the same right?

Anyone experience this issue and so suddenly?

Regards,

·
Registered
953 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Get any water on the eng. underhood? Did you clean/disturb under the accelerator pedal?
No water under the hood, I didn't do an engine bay cleaning. As for disturbing/cleaning around the accelerator pedal, I removed the floor mats (all 4) and cleaned them outside the car. I also vacuumed all the extra dirt up. I don't recall necessarily hitting or disturbing the accelerator pedal, but I wouldn't think something that small would cause this... would it?

·
Registered
953 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
UPDATE: The same day that the problem occurred and not wanting to take a chance on this part failing for good the next time, I called around. The Oreilly's and AutoZones had reman parts that all had 1 year warranties. The prices were about $250-260 a pop, some with core charges.

I decided, don't know why, to call a local Ford dealership to see what their price was. Surprisingly, the guy in the parts department quoted me $98 + tax (~$106 out the door)! I was shocked. He said that the TAC Module (Throttle Accelerator Control) has been just randomly going on all sorts of cars. Some cars, like the newer Mustang and some Fusions have had recalls made. Unfortunately, my Taurus' VIN did not have a recall for this.

Long story short, if your TAC starts stumbling and you get a P2111 code thrown, call your local Ford dealership before trying the aftermarket guys. I never thought I would be saying something like that but apparent Ford doesn't want this part to cut into their bottom line, so they've drastically cut the price (by more than 200 bucks!)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts