Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all. I drive a 1995 Taurus GL and recently got 4 nearly new tires from my uncle. They came off of a Lincoln Town Car and I was curious to know if they would fit on my Taurus. My Taurus is supposed to have P205/65R15's but I read somewhere that the police package for a 1995 Taurus had P205/75R15's.. which leads me to believe these tires should work in place of the stock 65R15's unless the police package Taurus had a different suspension set up than the GL.

Let me know what you think. Thanks.

·
Registered
189 Posts
They'll probably fit, but unless you're really strapped for cash, I wouldn't recommend them. Since the 75's are 6% larger diameter than the 65's, figure the speedo showing about 66 mph when you're doing 70. Around town acceleration will be down a bit, because of the taller effective gearing, and cornering might suffer. If your car has ABS, 6% change is not a good idea. Also, never heard of a police package that goes taller tire ratio's than stock. Usually the other way around, but could be wrong.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I have the police package, and my tires are P205/70R15 ;)

Check this site out, it's pretty good for comparing tire sizes and your speedometer accuracy.
Tire size calculator

Also, I think one of the only differences with the suspension is the sway bar, but I could be mistaken. They should work, but your speedometer will be slow, your acceleration and handling will be hindered a bit, as Borbet said.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts