Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Everything fell apart at once, went to pass someone on the interstate and the car bucked around (Due to the faulty VSS I haven't replaced yet) and then suddenly the A/C compressor clutch disengaged and has not re-engaged since. 15 miles later the Check Engine Light illuminates, pull over, scan it and get the P1633.

So I check the battery and alternator. Vehicle running, 14.2 volts, 30 amps at idle. Vehicle off, battery held at 12 volts and tested good up to the advertised 900 CCA. Made no sense. So I cleared the code and drove on, it came on a few miles later.

Haven't done anymore digging yet (Still 98 degrees outside), but any ideas?

- AC compressor clutch not engaging
- DTC P1633 keeps setting

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Narrowed it down. The 10 amp fuse in slot 22 of the underhood fuse box keeps blowing. This is the fuse for the A/C clutch relay and the KAM. Didn't have anymore 10 amp fuses, so harvested a 15 amp from the project truck and it popped as soon as the engine was restarted.

Anyone have a wiring diagram for this circuit?

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
I think this means there's an issue with your clutch/coil assembly on the compressor...potentially need to replace it. I know if compressor fails to engage, it'll pop a fuse.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think this means there's an issue with your clutch/coil assembly on the compressor...potentially need to replace it. I know if compressor fails to engage, it'll pop a fuse.
Before I take a dive on this, any possibility it could be the ECM?

·
Registered
151 Posts
When we had the same problem it was the A/C clutch. Same fuse kept blowing also. Except in our case, the clutch was ****-eyed, and wouldn't engage or disengage. It actually prevented the engine from turning over.

·
Super Moderator
8,732 Posts
Jumper clutch coil to batt with an amp meter in the circuit to check coil current draw. I seem to remember it should be about 4.5 to 4.7 amps, but dont quote me on these exact values. If draw is excessive, clutch coil is internally shorted and needs replacement. If in spec, check harness to clutch and to PCM for wear thru, etc. Could verify it is NOT a PCM problem by disconnecting PCM connector, turning key to RUN and seeing if the fuse pops. If it still pops, it isnt the PCM.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Verified. With A/C clutch relay removed, fuse does not pop. Replaced relay just to rule that out, with relay in, fuse pops, without, it doesn't.

On top of that the A/C clutch is now rattling/growling. Hopefully it can hold out until next Thursday when I get paid again. :unsure:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts