Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all I got a Sable 2000 with ~ 166,000 miles on it. The computer threw out a P1401 Emmission Code "Differential Pressure Feedback EGR (DPFE) Sensor Circut High Voltage Detected/EGR Temperature Sensor". I replaced the DPFE unit 2 years ago. Question I have is there a EGR Temperature Sensor? Does anyone know of a diagnostic tree for this code? With a car with this kind of millage could the EGR valve or tubing be clogged with exhast carbon buildup? I don't want to throw parts at it as I reciently was awarded the gift of the unemployed. Appriciate any help!
Brad

·
Registered
23,350 Posts
Yes, be sure to clean the passageway from the egr valve to the upper intake manifold of carbon deposits if any. Also, i would get the borg-warner dpfe sensor from advance auto or oreilly. The only other egr component than the valve and dpfe is the egr solenoid (evr) on the pass. side of the intake. Ive never had to replace the valve and/or the solenoid. You can remove the vac. hose from the valve and replace with a scrap piece of sampling hose, and with the engine idling, suck on the hose. Eng. should stumble or die signalling the valve is in working order. Remember, there should be no egr flow at idle or wot (wide open throttle). This test can save you from cleaning out the passageway.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
P1401 on a Ford just means excessive EGR flow, there is no "EGR temperature sensor". Your scanner must be giving some other manufacturer's codes. Most likely either the DPFE sensor is failing, or the EGR valve is stuck open. It's a good idea to clean the EGR passages, but that won't be the cause of and excessive flow code.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts