Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a check engine light on which reads out to be P1401, which is a DPFE Sensor High Voltage. I have a 2000 Taurus, DOHC, engine. Anyone ever replace one of these, and if so, how, and where exactly is it. Thanks for you help.

·
Premium Member
396 Posts
This trouble code indicates a problem in the EGR system. Following the diagnostic tree, there could be a number of problems such as a bad EGR valve, or PCM (powertrain control module). Unfortunately, the diagnostic routine is 65 pages if I could print the thing (which my printer doesn't work at the moment). Anyone know how to print to a file or something?

Do you have a shop manual?

·
Premium Member
2,277 Posts
DPFE sensor itself might be bad, this is a common problem on the Taurus. The sensor is $76, if you want I can ship you one..I'd start there. PM me if you want one, me free gift too you, I got a few lying around...

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have the same problem you discussed with nascaracing last month, Constant Check Engine Light with a 401 code for EGR Insufficient/Low Flow, two days after the warranty ran out. Any quick checks I can do. I did the odvious visual checks and all lines look good. Hooked good vaccum to the EGR valve while running and car almost stalls, so the ERG valve is working good. I read many articles and they all seem to point to the DPFE, but just can't find it. I was able to swap out what looks like a regulator valve that the EGR gets it's vaccum from with my truck, no luck. It was located on the passenger side of the motor on the black plastic intake. I see the throttle sensor near the EGR valve and there is another valve/sensor near the throttle sensor and EGR valve, but not sure it that's it, it seems to port air some air in the intake area. I took some voltage readings from it and they seem similar to my truck. Both about 8 VDC, rev motor and they both dropped to 7-7.5 VDC, seemed to follow a couple of articles I read, but it only had 2 terminals on it. Most of the articles say the DPFE has 3 terminals, just don't see anything matching up to it. Any help is greatly appreciated...

·
Registered
2 Posts
I think I found it (DPFE), it is a tube mounted design that is behind the manifod near the firewall on a 2001 Taurus/Sable. I read another article that said they typically get moisture in them from the EGR valve being close on startup and it causes them to short out. It said to remove it and tap the water out and reset the code by disconnecting the battery for 20 seconds. Mine had a part numnber YF1E-9j460-AD, I noticed it was the exact same number as on my 2002 Expedition, so I swapted cleaned them both out and switched them to see it the problem comes back in the truck, then I'll know I need a new one. So far so good, I'll be back if it doesn't fix it.

Initial problem was OBDII code P0401 EGR Flow Insufficient, Car runs fines, just has Check Engine Light on. Had codes pulled for free at 2 different auto stores and they all said to change the EGR valve. I checked it by applying vaccum and it worked fine, car would almost stall at idel with vaccum on EGR valve. I still took it apart and looked for carbon, after reading many article, but I think Ford has that problem solved now through a design change. Every article I read said to change the DPFE, but I just couldn't locate it. Just follow the 1" EGR exhaust pipe down a little and you see 2 metal tudes welded to it, at the top of them you will find the DPFE sensor with a 3 pin connector and 2 rubber attaching hoses, pops off by hand, no tools required...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts