Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to track down the source of the P1336 code I am having on my 2003 3.0 OHV flex fuel Taurus that has 39k on it. I do not know the history of the car but I believe at least the intake manifold gaskets were replaced from what I can see.

I started with buying the 303-589 cam alignment tool. This is the exact tool that was specified in the factory service manual. I was difficult to get to where I could read the timing marks as damper was rusty. I finally did get to where I could read them with sandpaper. I could only see the hash marks but I do think I correctly determined it which coincided with the 5th tooth after the missing tooth. This information coincided with information I found on a Ranger site. In setting TDC I did verify that I was on the compression stroke. The TDC mark I identified also coincided with the high point of the piston travel. I found the synchronizer was misaligned slightly with the tab rotated maybe 20deg CCW past the center of the window. I assumed that the synchronizer might have been removed and not correctly replaced with doing the intake manifold. I removed the synchronizer checked the bushings and the reinserted it and corrected the alignment using the tool. I has assumed this would fix the problem but no the code popped right back up.

I had also noticed the cam sensor appeared to be an aftermarket one but the synchronize appeared to be OEM. I checked the resistance of a new sensor and the aftermarked one and they read about the same at approximately 650 to 700 ohms. I decided to swap out the sensor given all the posts about problems with non-oem sensors. I swapped in a new Motorcraft sensor and took a test ride hoping that was going to be the fix. No luck the code comes back after being cleared.

I have been clearing the code with my Scan Tool rather then pulling a battery cable. I have seem some information that talks about the PCM needing to learn to match the crank sensor the cam sensor but I was not sure that applied to the Vulcan.

I was considering clearing the code by killing the power to the PCM and I was also considering replacing the crank sensor for a test but I am not sure if that is doing more then throwing parts at it. The only other idea I have would be to test out the wiring from the cam sensor to the PCM although there is no sign of damage. This is the only code present and the car runs perfectly fine. The code may or may not trigger the check engine light. I could definitely use some guidance here.

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited by Moderator)

Attachments

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Pretty good TSB on the subject but not much help for me on the stuff that requires a two channel oscilloscope.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I just finished testing the resistance between the wires that run the cam sensor and the PCM connector and found no issues there. I also checked for short to ground, short to battery and short between the two and found no issues. I did find that the fuel pressure sensor was missing the seal which I luckily found down by the front cover by chance. Whoever worked on this car before was not the best mechanic. That connector had a just a wee tad of green goo in it and corrosion on one pin. I see that sensor has a wire in common with the CAM sensor so perhaps that is the issue. I got that all cleaned up and resealed. I also put in a new Motorcraft Crank Sensor since I had one here. I am out for a test ride.

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well for whatever it was thankfully it seems to be fixed 25min test ride and no codes plus it was long of a ride to clear the p1000 so I am happy. That code had me worried. Runs, drives, idles great.

·
Super Moderator
7,685 Posts
Sounds like you found the problem, Tom!

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just a side note the Emission diagnosis book called for PCM replacement after completing the tests I did. I am glad it did not come down to that. Hopeful someone else can make use of this down the road.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
About this Discussion
7 Replies
3 Participants
Tom S
Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
A forum community dedicated to the Ford Taurus and SHO models, Mercury Sable and Lincoln MKS. Join the discussions on EcoBoost, aftermarket performance, and more!
Full Forum Listing