Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Let me make this as short as possible. I had a cyl 3 misfire code yesterday p0303 I think.

Today I bought new wires and plugs thinking there is at least 60k on these, and the car has 160k on it.

I did the wires one at a time, as well as the plugs. I hooked everything back up. Verified 5 times.

Car now sets the codes mentioned in the title.
P1137 Lack Of HO2S12 Switches - Sensor Indicates Lean
P1157 Lack Of HO2S22 Switches - Sensor Indicates Lean
P1132 Lack Of HO2S11 Switches - Sensor Indicates Rich
P1152 Lack Of HO2S21 Switches - Sensor Indicates Rich *

My understanding is the first 2 codes are o2 after converter are seeing lean, and the last 2 codes before the converter are seeing rich.

How is this possible? any ideas?

I have not had another misfire after the wires and plugs were changed...still could be imminent. It only misfired when cold and wet outside. I have 50 psi at the rail test port with no leakdown.

No vacuum leaks that I am aware of. I never had these codes during the misfire. Only after installing motorcraft plugs and new wires.

I am confident that the gaskets on the plastic upper intake are good. and it is installed right.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
I think you may have yanked something in the O2 sensor wiring harness. Because the "lack of switching" 02 sensor codes mean they're pegged in one direction with no movement. Usually you get P017x before the stuck lean/rich codes show up. Watch the sensor switching with your scantool, if they're totally pegged then it's probably a wiring problem.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
OK i just returned from a fresh test drive. I cleared codes, then took it out. So far everything looks to be switching. At first start up one looked slow like it wasnt switching. But it came up fine after I drove off. No codes returned. About a 5 miles drive. I did get engine up to temp. Maybe I will chance taking it to work (25 miles) and see what happens. It did run good, lots of power, no misfires...I dunno if the problem is still there waiting for moisture or not. I did not see anything wrong with the #3 plug or wire. 5400 ohms. I used dielectric grease on all of them. There looked to be a brown spot on the #3 boot, but there was a fine coat of rust in that area inside the hole. I dont know why. Maybe it was a source of spark jumping. I will post tomorrow with any thoughts or developments.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.