Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there, Yellow Service Engine Soon light came on the other day. Today I went to autozone and had them read the codes.

They printed out the foillowing.

P1131

lack of bank 1 02 transitions - lean
explanation
detected bank 1 02 at its lean limit
probable cause
1.misfire on bank 1
2.vacuum leak affecting bank 1 only
3.fuel injector problem bank 1
4.engine mechanical condition

P0401

system fault (exhaust gas recirculation)
explanation
the ecm has detected too little flow on the egr system
possible cause
1.blocked passage on egr system
2.failed egr valve
3.egr solenoid faulty
4.failed egr pressure sensor where applicable
5.failed egr pressure sensor where applicable

I would like to avoid taking my car to a shop to save money. However, I am a complete car newbie.

Would love some feedback, suggestions. If possible can you supply pictures on where I can locate the item in the car.

My Car is a 1999 For Tauras...........

-Gerrit

·
Premium Member
14,356 Posts
Take your EGR valve off and see if it's all carboned up. If it is, clean it, install a new gasket, clear codes and see if it comes back.

·
Super Moderator
8,590 Posts
Do you have a Vulcan or a Tec? If you have a Tec with the metal intake manifold, remove TB and see if the EGR passage is plugged up. If it is, clean it completely, which can take a while. This is a very common problem. As noted above, also remove and check EGR valve for carboned up. If those check out, most likely cause is a failed DPFE.

1131 is either a failed O2 sensor on bank 1 or a harness / connector problem. If harness is OK (no run thru, etc) and connector is connected and clean (not corroded), I would replace the O2.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
BTW: with the intake manifold and egr valve when you put it back together, does it require a torque? Or can you just make it tight and be good to go? I saw that some people reuse the intake manifold gasket if its still good, do you guys recommend a new one? With the egr valve gasket do you always recommend a new gasket? Any certain cleaner you guys recommend?

-Gerrit

·
Super Moderator
8,590 Posts
The gaskets harden with time, so I suggest new ones. New ones are cheap insurance.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just wanted to update this thread. The issue has been resolved. After much debate, I still felt better taking my car to a mechanic to get everything checked out. I dont have any knowledge working with cars, I knew the expense would be high though.

The P0401 issue was the BPFE sensor. Funny cause I was about to open the exhaust manifold to see if the port was dirty. I am sure it would have been a good thing, I just didnt have the tools to diagnose the sensor. The part was $86.31, then $38.25 for labor.

The P1131 was the O2 sensor, that part was $73.71 and labor was $38.25.

I also learned the day before I brought the car to the shop that my blower motor went out on me. Couldnt believe it. That part costed 56.73 and labor was 76.25, ouch.

It costed a lot more than I expected, but I also had them diagnose my a/c lines and indeed I have leaks. The 60 I spent to recharge last week has gone up in vapor. Ouch. So I now need to fix the low side a/c line and lines connecting to compressor. The mechanic quoted me $400.00. I said I will think about it.

I have my car back, it runs great now. No more yellow SEL. I have peace of mind though. Its expensive peace of mind, but will pay for itself later when I am out on a stormchase or fishing and having the time of my life.

Thanks for all the replies.

Go ahead and mark this thread as resolved, if you do that.

-Gerrit

·
Registered
697 Posts
BTW: How expensive would the low side a/c line cost as well as the lines connecting to the a/c? I would assume that I could do that repair, as long as its not too expensive.
Unless you have gauges and a refrigeration vacuum pump, you should let the shop do it. The part itself is around $100, R-134 will be around $30 -50 plus labor. If you have no experience doing this, you are better off having a pro do it.

I did a similar repair about 5 years ago involving the high side hose, if you want to get an idea of what is involved, go to this post.

The low side repair will require work against the firewall, very crowded in there. The Evaporator will have to be disconnected.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts