Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

Well my SES (Service Engine Soon) light turned on the a couple of weeks ago. I scanned it. Erased it, and it didnt come back on, it was the O2 sensors... then about a day ago it came back on stating that bank one and two are running too lean. I was wondering if anyone else expirienced this problem. If so, please let me know how to fix it.

Also Im going to replace the O2 Sensors on the Sable really soon. So... I'll let you all know when I get that done. Well any input will be GREATLY appreciated. Thank you

SABLESAL

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
would adding breathers cause this light to turn on? Cause I recently added a breather to the car.

Sal

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Breathers are for the crankcase ventilation, so I don't think they would cause a problem. Did you plug off the breather tube to the intake? Most times when the car kicks a code for both banks lean, it's due to an after-MAF vacuum leak, as Sunil pointed out. If it didn't do this before you added the breathers, go back and check your intake tubing, make sure it's plugged off, and if that's OK, check for vacuum leaks.

One of the common spots for these cars to leak is the EGR, just an FYI. :thumb:

Also, don't replace the 02's just yet, they're probably not the problem.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks bob, this happened around the time I replaced the open lines with breathers. I'm going to check it out, and I'll let you all know what I found out. Thanks for the info, keep the input coming.

Sal

·
Registered
285 Posts
What brand of scan tool gave you these codes?

I couldn't find these code numbers in my reference books, or at this site:

http://www.obdii.com/codes.asp

This OBD-II stuff is giving me a real headache, trying to learn it on my own.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Actron OBD II Scan Tool. It worked just as good as the Snap On one that we use here at the shop. I highly recommend it.

Sal

·
Registered
40 Posts
I just had to resurrect this thread because my '98 Taurus Vulcan pulled the same codes shortly after a tune up. The car is idling extremely rough. Before I take it back to the shop I wanted to know if you were able to fix the problem and if so, how'd you do it. Thanks.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I cleared the codes. I have HO2 Sensor Bank 2 Sensor 1 is bad for sure. Cause that code comes up periodically. So thought I would let you know.

SableSal

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Originally posted by murph3699@Jul 11 2004, 05:06 PM
I just had to resurrect this thread because my '98 Taurus Vulcan pulled the same codes shortly after a tune up. The car is idling extremely rough. Before I take it back to the shop I wanted to know if you were able to fix the problem and if so, how'd you do it. Thanks.
Most times it's caused by a vacuum leak after the mass air meter. It's possible that during the tune up, a vacuum hose was knocked loose, or broken.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Thanks for the response! I did take it back to the shop this morning and mentioned to the mechanic to check for that. I haven't heard back yet but I do have my fingers crossed. Thanks again!

·
Registered
40 Posts
I just spoke w/the mechanic and it was indeed a vacuum leak due to some cracked hoses. It will be a quick and relatively painless ($$$) fix. Thanks again guys!

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Originally posted by murph3699@Jul 12 2004, 12:07 PM
I just spoke w/the mechanic and it was indeed a vacuum leak due to some cracked hoses. It will be a quick and relatively painless ($$$) fix. Thanks again guys!
:thumb:

Glad we were able to help!

·
Registered
712 Posts
Originally posted by murph3699@Jul 12 2004, 01:07 PM
This is code for:

My mechanic knocked one of your vac lines off. We don't want to look stupid, so I am telling you it's a cracked hose. We will only charge you a few dollars, so that you think we are being nice to you. We are hoping that you don't wonder why we didn't realize your car was running like crap before we gave it back to you the first time.

·
Premium Member
6,077 Posts
This weekend I'll be doing an EGR write up. I pulled mine last weekend and in the process cracked the weak-ass EGR pipe. Now it sounds like I have a big-block 3.0L. :???: I'll get some pics too.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts