Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Scanned my brothers OBD II today on his new 2005 Sable, Vulcan engine.

It had a permanent code P0A11, DC/DC converter enable circuit/open.

After some internet searching, I am at a loss.

What on earth does that code mean?!?!

·
Super Moderator
8,667 Posts
Are you sure it is a CAN compatable scanner?

·
Premium Member
253 Posts
Scanned my brothers OBD II today on his new 2005 Sable, Vulcan engine.

It had a permanent code P0A11, DC/DC converter enable circuit/open.

After some internet searching, I am at a loss.

What on earth does that code mean?!?!

My original response:
P0A11 is not a valid Ford code format; the code should be P0xxx, where xxx = a series of 3 numbers (no letters). You may have a scanner issue.
I stand corrected; the code is a valid Ford code, but only for hybrids (Mariner and Escape). Definitely not applicable to a Vulcan. I still think it may be a scanner issue.

From the Factory Service Manual:

Hybrid Electric Control Hardware

DC/DC Converter

The purpose of the DC/DC converter is to function as an alternator in a conventional powertrain. The powertrain control module (PCM) controls operation of the DC/DC converter. Because the converter does not use any moving parts, the low voltage battery is charged when the vehicle drives with the engine ON or OFF. This is accomplished by converting power from the high voltage traction battery to a regulated output voltage of a nominal 14.5 volts, while supplying a load current of up to 110 amps. The PCM controls the DC/DC enable (DCE) hardwired signal to switch the DC/DC converter on and off. The DC/DC converter provides feedback to the PCM using the hardwired DC/DC fault (DCF) signal. The DCF signal indicates to the PCM when the converter is non-operational or when the concern occurred. The DC/DC converter is cooled by the motor electronics cooling system and is located on the passenger side in the engine compartment.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My original response:

I stand corrected; the code is a valid Ford code, but only for hybrids (Mariner and Escape). Definetly not applicable to a Vulcan. I still think it may be a scanner issue.

From the Factory Service Manual:

Hybrid Electric Control Hardware

DC/DC Converter

The purpose of the DC/DC converter is to function as an alternator in a conventional powertrain. The powertrain control module (PCM) controls operation of the DC/DC converter. Because the converter does not use any moving parts, the low voltage battery is charged when the vehicle drives with the engine ON or OFF. This is accomplished by converting power from the high voltage traction battery to a regulated output voltage of a nominal 14.5 volts, while supplying a load current of up to 110 amps. The PCM controls the DC/DC enable (DCE) hardwired signal to switch the DC/DC converter on and off. The DC/DC converter provides feedback to the PCM using the hardwired DC/DC fault (DCF) signal. The DCF signal indicates to the PCM when the converter is non-operational or when the concern occurred. The DC/DC converter is cooled by the motor electronics cooling system and is located on the passenger side in the engine compartment.
Thanks! I'm not going to worry about it then. Either my scanner just had a weird communication error, or the car's computer is just a little retarded and thinks it's a hybrid.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts