Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a 1996 Taurus GL 3.0 and it was saying speed sensor was bad so i replaced the VSS and it worked for like a min then quit working and once in awhile the speedo needle would twich then i got nothing. so i checked the codes and i got P500 (VSS) and i would clear it then i would get code P0708..... COuld code P0708 cause the VSS not to work? after i quit getting the twich out the needle i got nothing out the needle so i thought maybe the new VSS was bad so i got another and yet again it worked for like 2mins then it quit and twiched for a second and now nothing and i get the P0708 code again and if i don't get the 708 code i get the p500 code for the VSS... when i get the 708 code the car will not shift out of first at all... Is the white sensor infront of the gear range selector the TRS? and how do i remove it? I tried connector cleaner on everything too see if i get a change but nothing.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well its kinda interesting that when it doesn't trip the code for the VSS it trips the TRS code and when it don't trip the TRS code it trips the VSS code. ANd also the VSS only works for the first few mins after you put a new one in then it don't work nomore. Could it be the wrong VSS? the one i keep getting is for the 17bolt pan with no cable. Should i try one for the 19bolt pan no cable? Could it be burning up the NEw VSS?

·
Registered
23,366 Posts
^ 17 bolt. Axod, axod-e and ax4s are all basically the same transaxle. Did the new vss come with an identical plastic gear attached, or did you transfer the old gear to the new vss?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
transferred the gear from old to new..

This is something also don't know if it will make a difference but the old VSS's metal mounting ear on the VSS sat flush on the tranny while the newones the metal ear is not long enough to reach the slot in the casing to sit flush.. The VSS seats fully but the mounting ear does not if i tighten to much it bends in the metal ear.

·
Registered
23,366 Posts
^ Ive had that problem with an aftermarket vss, too. Just pull the ears off new and old with pliers and swap. Easy peasy. Iirc, once, i may have used a slotted screwdriver as a miniature pry tool.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Could it be burning up the new VSS? because like i said it will work for a min then quit working and can't get it working again.

Now i changed the ear and it made no difference in the way it fit the old ear fit the same way as the new one on the tranny so i put the old VSS in and lo and behold the ear did not fit into the slot......... so i don't know i am lost on it....

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
This is what i been thinking... If the transmission has been swapped (by the numbers in marker on it i say it has) and say who ever did it used the sensors, etc like the VSS on the new transmission from the old transmission could it be the wrong VSS for said transmission? Or maybe it is the correct VSS for this transmission but not for this car so the car is burning up the new VSS after a min because like i said it will work for a min when i first install a new VSS and then it will quit working and maybe the needle will jump once or twice then will not get anything else out of it again until i put yet another VSS in.. When i ordered the new VSS i just pulled the old one and had them cross max the part numbers. the old one i pulled out was blue with ford stamped on it. the new one's part number is (Napa) VSS306SB, Old one's part number on the VSS is E9LF-9E731-AA.

How can i tell what Transmission this car had in it factory? Maybe order the VSS for that transmission and see what it does...... Because when my buddy looked it up at Napa it showed 2 different transmissions totaling 4 different VSSs. well i know it don't have the cable so that just leaves two different VSSs to try one for the 17bolt and one for the 19bolt.

Forget the other posts this is the events that have taken place so maybe it might make it clear....

I bought the car from a used car lot as a fixer upper the VSS didn't work i just now got around to trying to fix it...
I removed the old VSS and called my buddy at napa and cross matched its part number with one from napa. I put said new VSS in and went for a test drive it worked for like the first 50feet then it quit working so i turn around to head back home and the needle jumped once or twice and got nothing else out of it after many test runs i could not get said new VSS to work again so i chalk it up to being a bad part from Napa so i have them order another new VSS. I put the second VSS in and it also worked but for only about 30feet this time and it jumped once and now nothing at all out of it also. The transmission in the car now is a AXOD.

·
Registered
23,366 Posts
I would inspect all the associated wiring and elec. conn. for the vss running to the pcm (computer) and the speedo. Also, check the sticker at the end of the drivers door for the tranny code. Under the letters TR, there should be a letter (or number code). If its an X, orig. tranny should have been a 19 bolt ax4n. Any other character, and it should have been a 17 bolt tranny pan such as the ax4s. This is providing the door hasnt been swapped out, lol.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts