Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can someone please help me with location of the purge valve for a 2002 Taurus SE.......

·
Super Moderator
7,834 Posts
On firewall pass side under cowl.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thats what I thought, but when I look at the valve it looks nothing like what the replacement valve looks like when I go on line or store to purchase....How can I view a pic of what it is. I can find no where for a 02 / 6cyl SE

·
Registered
89 Posts
I replaced my purge valve trying to fix a problem, [which didn't fix it but that's a whole different can o' worms] and it's working as it should. I bought the standard motor products brand from rockauto here:

And as it happens I have the same model year and trim as your car! Silver.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yep..Thanks...Thats the one I am looking at. I buy many products from Rock auto when I dont really care about OEM....Can u give me vicinity of location for this valve. Its my father in laws car and I looked quickly and could not locate. Pass side, driver side, firewall area?

·
Registered
89 Posts
It wasn't hard to replace, you just gotta squeeze your hands in there. I attatched two picture edits of a random engine bay picture I found. The one with the pink dot is about where it is against the firewall. For the red drawing, you gotta take off the bracket I circled and swing back the torque arm I put an arrow at, in order to have enough room to work. I believe the bolts are something like 10 mm, I used a flexible socket extension that looks like it's made of a spring which helped a ton, it's this: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-3-8-in-Drive-8-in-Flex-Extension-H3DFEXT7/206038458

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks...Thats where I was looking. Something just inst adding up for me as the valve i was looking at was not mounted to the firewall. Not sure if that one is from the pic, but the bay kind of looks different too....Ill get back in his car and look harder.......Im assuming the replacement from rock auto looks the same as the original that was removed. Ill just look harder for the type that is pictured on Rock auto.......Thanks for all your help.........

·
Registered
89 Posts
Yup, two bolts holding the valve there to the firewall. My car is a 2002, with the fuel pressure sensor on the passenger end of the front fuel rail. SE trim. Both the stock valve and the one I had bought had the ford logo on them even though the new one was the Standard Motor Products brand, they looked identical.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Glad to help! Hope you get it done the first time, took me trying at removing it 3 separate times to figure out how to fit my hands in there and remove the darn thing. Normal wrenches dont fit.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts