Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,
I've been searching around. I just had a P0442 code pop up - basically a small leak in the EVAP system. The fuel pump and filter were just replaced a week ago.

Seems like this type of small leak can be a real PITA to track down. I've cleared the code once and driven around a bit. I see that the code is now pending, which means it will not just go away.

Other than the fuel cap, where else can I look? It seems checking the filler neck is one area.

There is supposed to be some sort of valve that can stick open/closed, where is that guy?

Also, any other areas that I can check for pin holes?

Thanks!

~matt

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
The purge valve is on the firewall,passenger side. There is a large hose attached to it. The filler necks rust so you may want to look at that.

·
Registered
955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I ended up finding that part. The question now is how do I test whether it is working properly?

Sorry for the ignorance, it just does not seem like we have a good testing procedure on this.

·
Registered
955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks! I hope this helps someone in the future.

As for me, the mechanic and I got underneath the back end of the bull. He went over some of the hoses. There are two, somewhat thicker in diameter hoses that lead from the black bracket and charcoal canister, up towards the front of the car.

I guess one of the hoses was not secured by the Ford proprietary clips well enough. He was able to just pull it off without any force. He's sure that this was the area that was giving the code.

I have erased the pending code of P0442. Now, I guess I'll just have to wait and see if the system ever decides to run the diagnositic again.

Is there any way to 'force' it to run the diagnostic? Seems like there are a whole lot of variables (temperature, fuel level, etc.) that have to align for the test to be run.

Or am I mistaken?

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
You cannot force the EVAP readiness. If the temp is too low it will take days.

·
Registered
955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If the temp is 'right' and the fuel is 'right', is this EVAP readiness test run on every startup?

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
No there are many hoops and hurdles before the test is complete.

·
Registered
955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
being a software engineer myself, that seems like a pretty stupid thing to do. but, i guess there are worse things in life. i'll just continue to monitor it all then and post back if anything seems out of place.

thanks SHOZ :)

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
Unfortunately my computer crashed and I am in the process of getting a new one running the way I want. Damn Windows 7....

I don't think the old Ford software will work. Haven't tried the newer DVD stuff but that should work. Just need to get it installed.

Anyway then I can give you the Ford EVAP Drive cycle. :)

·
Registered
955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
thanks, but I do have the Ford CD at home. I was just at work and didn't have it on me.

It still may be useful to post it back here though when either of us gets a sec. I'll see if I can't find it. Searching that Ford CD is a bit difficult if you don't know EXACTLY what to look for.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts