Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will do more in depth searching when I can catch my breath (right now at work and I'm slammed). But since I've helped people search before, I was really hoping someone could help me now.

Here is all that I know.

My girlfriends car is a 1998 Mecury Mystique with a Duratec engine. I grabbed the codes off and have quickly google searched.

P0401: EGR Flow Problem
P1131: O2 Sensor issue (Bank 1, Sensor 1)

Since I am very used to the Vulcan engine, I was hoping someone here could point me to resolutions for these two issues. Knowing her, the car's throttlebody and the like have never been cleaned.

I'm not really knowledgeable on the EGR or DPFE (?) Sensor and what they are used for. I haven't had these issues arise on my Vulcan.

So, I realize that I may get the typical use the Topic Finder, etc. But if anyone is having a slow day on the tubes, I could use a few good links.

Thanks all! Best wishes :)

·
Registered
23,355 Posts
PO401: insufficient egr flow. Fix: a new borg-warner dpfe sensor from advance auto or oreillys. Clear the codes and see if the o2 sensor code remains gone also. If not, P1131 is the upstream sensor, firewall bank. Might also clean passageway from egr valve to uim of carbon deposits.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
If the 2.5 Duratec has the same EGR ports bored into the intake, take the intake tube off first and check those ports. They may be fully blocked causing the P0401. The P1131 means the 02 sensor is pegged lean with no movement, usually that's accompanied by a P0171 though. Hmmm. At 13 years new 02 sensors aren't a bad gamble, if it's still lean then you have a vacuum leak.

·
Registered
955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
need a little help locating

Hey all,
I snapped off some pics with my camera phone last night of the gf's car. Let me start by saying, good god! Those 'tec engines look really intimidating to work on!!! :eek:

I noticed something that looks like the PCV being really 'wet' looking with oily residue. That's in picture 1. My question would be, would this cause any of the codes?

The real question I came on here for was to ask, where bout's is this DPFE Sensor (aka EGR pressure sensor???) that has been suggested to replace first? I'm clueless to where it would be on the 'tec.

Picture #2 is of the main part of the engine block, taken from the drivers side wheel well area. That circular thing is some part dealing with the EGR system. I'm blanking on the name right now. A little push in the right direction to replacing the part would be awesome!

Thanks! Feel free to download and mark the pics up and re post, or post your own :)

EDIT:
By the way, she has the 1998 LS. If I'm reading RockAuto correct, there are 2 engine types for that year and model.
1) "2.0L 1989cc 121cid L4 FI"
2) "2.5L 2450cc 155cid V6 FI DOHC"

Since the engine says Duratec, I'm assuming she has the 2nd option above. That means that WJC's comment above holds some weight to it. Just not sure about how to do it, that's all.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Photo 1 I don't know, really can't see it. Photo 2 is the EGR valve, not likely to be the problem. Attach some hose to its input and suck on it with the engine running. If it holds vacuum, the valve diaphragm is ok, if the engine doesn't change RPM when you apply more vacuum then the passages are blocked.

·
Registered
955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Photo 1 I don't know, really can't see it. Photo 2 is the EGR valve, not likely to be the problem. Attach some hose to its input and suck on it with the engine running. If it holds vacuum, the valve diaphragm is ok, if the engine doesn't change RPM when you apply more vacuum then the passages are blocked.
WJC,
where does the EGR pressure valve exist then on the Duratec engine? Is there any way I can get a picture (I work better by pics then wording) where it is?

Thanks!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts