Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
1996 Duratec engine. This is the second time that I have that code since I have the car, I am posting some pictures below maybe would help somebody in future.
I clean it once at some 85k miles, now at 173k miles. Aluminum UIM. Carbon deposits on mine are super strong, no "cleaner" will budge them.
Once you are there, clean or replace the PCV valve too (see below UIM).

First take off the throtle body - need a 8mm socket (kinda of deep for one of the screws):

Then you will see what I am talking about. Below is before and after some cleaning:

·
Registered
10,566 Posts
Intake

Looks like the corrosion is beyond fix.

Might find what you need at a junk yard that is not so bad.

You might take the manifold off and use a sanding drum like on a Dremel and grind it out and vacuum out the dust, but just a thought.

-chart-

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
It wasn't corrosion in the first pic, just didn't clean the old gasket leftovers yet (sorry, didn't realize that pic quality was not so great). Gasket had carbon build up in shape of that passage too...
The bolts heads are 8mm. Didn't replace the DPFE yet... I just finished putting it back (had to wait for the new gasket) and I will drive it for a while see if CEL stays "clean".

PS: Temp outside got up to 90F (with 50% humidity, feels like 95F). Glad that I have a tree next to my driveway, even if it drives me crazy in the fall.

·
Registered
10,566 Posts
Intake

It wasn't corrosion in the first pic, just didn't clean the old gasket leftovers yet (sorry, didn't realize that pic quality was not so great). Gasket had carbon build up in shape of that passage too...
The bolts heads are 8mm. Didn't replace the DPFE yet... I just finished putting it back (had to wait for the new gasket) and I will drive it for a while see if CEL stays "clean".

PS: Temp outside got up to 90F (with 50% humidity, feels like 95F). Glad that I have a tree next to my driveway, even if it drives me crazy in the fall.
Added a pic of my with the plastic intake runner. The EGR uses a SS thermal isolater and the PCV now goes into the bottom with a big rubber elbow that has a hard to get to, spring clamp. I hear they go bad and leak. I use a 7/8" 12 point socket for the PCV valve and turn half turn. Not a real bad job once you find where they hid the thing. They could have put a hex on the valve rather than a square and made it better. :p

Wanna bet Ford has a special tool?

Happy motoring.

-chart-

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
My PVC valve (below intake hole, small white letters on side in the third pic) was just "pushed" in the big hose, no quarter turn. Just pulled it up and aftert that pulled the small hose and... I had it in my hand. Lots of carb cleaner, the valve was still rattling inside. I put it back.
The EGR valve works - if i "suck" the top vacuum nipple (shut up, I know I said suck the nipple :)), the engine rmp changes and sometimes a code will pop up...
I see that the plastic intake body is better, slicker inside... My aluminium one looks better on outside thou :D

·
Registered
10,566 Posts
PCV location

My PVC valve (below intake hole, small white letters on side in the third pic) was just "pushed" in the big hose, no quarter turn. Just pulled it up and aftert that pulled the small hose and... I had it in my hand. Lots of carb cleaner, the valve was still rattling inside. I put it back.
The EGR valve works - if i "suck" the top vacuum nipple (shut up, I know I said suck the nipple :)), the engine rmp changes and sometimes a code will pop up...
I see that the plastic intake body is better, slicker inside... My aluminium one looks better on outside thou :D
OK I got it. Yours is the conventional one, in the hose. Later they put it way down on top of the engine.

See attached pic. I just learned something, but likely will never use it. I have '01 and '03 both DOHC. My pic is from the '01 with 107K on it at the time. PCV was not working right. Not completely stuck, but blowing water back up the clean air supply hosed into the intake air tube. That is BAD. No issue after a $7 valve at NAPA. I should be good for another 100K or so. But my past 1 or 4 miles trips in winter were really hard on that kind of thing. All this past winter my daughter drove it to work, and everywhere else. Keeping it cleaned out.

-chart-

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Mine was like this one (without plastic tees).

·
Registered
10 Posts

what is the part# of the gasket? did the cleaning solved the CEL?

·
Registered
23,363 Posts
Yugten, dunno tb gasket part#, but i got one from oreilly. On most of mine, i just spray the gasket build-up with tb cleaner and gently scrape clean with a screwdriver, etc. SoNic67, your pcv valve didnt have the 90 degree tee on top for the u-shaped hose? How did it fit under the tb?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts