Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 98' DOHV SE with 173k miles

Got P0401 a couple months back and reset it. Code was gone for about a month. Cleaned the valve out. Reset the computer again, and now P0401 comes back immediately.

I replaced my DPFE sensor (had the original) and P0401 still comes back right away.

Got a vacuum pump at Advanced Auto and tested the EGR valve. When I apply vacuum, the RPM's don't change and stay around 800. Before I spend $50 on a new valve, I would like to know if the EGR valve is bad or could something else be clogged?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
273 Posts
The tube that goes to the EGR could be clogged, I suppose. Since you've done the vacuum test, I'd say that is fairly likely that the EGR is actually bad.

·
Premium Member
902 Posts
Did you clean out the port in the intake manifold AFTER the EGR? They clog up real bad on the V8 SHO's, sometimes completely. Everything works, just the pipe is corked and you get the 401.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I took apart the intake manifold and it was completely clogged with carbon. Had to scrape out with screwdriver and used carb cleaner on it. Repeated the vacuum test and the engine nearly dies when vacuum is applied.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
QUOTE (eminem3150 @ May 27 2009, 10:03 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=728472
I took apart the intake manifold and it was completely clogged with carbon. Had to scrape out with screwdriver and used carb cleaner on it. Repeated the vacuum test and the engine nearly dies when vacuum is applied.[/b]
You got it, Ford EGR valves rarely go bad. Carbon plugging is the cause of P0401 codes on Fords the vast majority of the time.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Is it wrong to think that my car used to run better because the egr channel was clogged? With no crap air coming out of the exhaust and back through the intake I should think it would run better.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts