Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi
My Taurus is 2001, 3.0 Duratec with 100K on it. A couple of days ago, around lunch time (the weather was around 90 deg.), I started the car with no problem and drove about 10 miles on a highway. I noticed no problem during the drive.

But then, I dropped by a store briefly (just 2 minutes) to buy something, and restarted my car. The car began shuddering a lot, and I noticed almost total lack of power (although engine didn’t die and the car was still moving slowly). I drove around the parking lot couple of times, and the car seemed to be recovering somewhat. Because there was no service garage or anything nearby, I wanted to drive at least a few blocks to get help, but after driving several blocks, the car apparently recovered fully – although, at that point, I noticed the check engine light was on.
Opened the hood and a quick glance didn’t pick up anything grossly amiss. I parked the car and I had to work.
On my way home in the evening, the weather was cool. I drove the car back home absolutely with no incident.
At home I read the code, which was “P0352 IGNITION SIGNAL COIL B FAULT”.
The next morning, I erased the code and tried driving it around (2 miles, local) – no problem.
A day later, I gave another test drive (2 miles, local) when the whether was cool – no problem.

Yesterday, I started the car at lunchtime (the whether was hot); drove 10 miles on a highway; dropped by the same shop; re-started the car – and the exact same problem started again! (Check engine light is not on yet.)
I don’t know too much about cars, although, with my older Taurus (1999 Vulcan), I was able to change the coil pack, wires, plugs etc myself. On this car (2001 DOHV), the coil pack is on the back side. Is it very difficult to take it out? Do I have to remove the cowling to do that?
I’m more concerned about the possibility that the problem may not be the coil pack itself. The previous owner changed the coil pack 13 months ago, along with the wires and plugs on this car. (He was also not a mechanic himself.)
What do you guys think?
Thanks….

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I posted the message. I apologize for the bold type -that's not intended (and I can't change it).

·
Registered
68 Posts
I have a Duratech on my '99, along with rather large hands. I was able to swap out my coil pack the other evening without removing the cowling on the vehicle. Just be careful, and work slowly. On mine, I had 2 components that were grounded by connecting under two of the 4 bolts holding the coil down and in place. Just ensure you note these two wires / components so they can be placed under the bolts when you install the new coil.

Also, when I performed the swap, I marked the plug wires with blue masking tape and a sharpie, so I'd know which position they'd go into on the new coil. I've found that it's easier to mark the plug wires, remove them and move them out of the way before backing out the 4 bolts holding the coil down. When my coil was hanging, it was harder to reach for the plug wires, push the two tabs in and pull the plug wire away from the coil.

Finally, you might want to dig a bit and check out this code a bit more before jumping into a coil. Sure, there's a possibility that the coil the previous owner installed could go bad, but I've noted this same code on my Mazda - it turned out to be a plug that had worked its way loose a bit and was causing the misfire condition.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks so much for your reply. With the information you gave me, I will take a better look at it this afternoon.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Hi. I am having the exact same problem with my 2002 Duratec. I replaced the coil pack, wires, and plugs. I still get P0352 and rough idle for a minute only right after startup just like you. Did you find out what was wrong?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hi. I am having the exact same problem with my 2002 Duratec. I replaced the coil pack, wires, and plugs. I still get P0352 and rough idle for a minute only right after startup just like you. Did you find out what was wrong?
I am also haveing the exact same problem with my 2002 SES Duratec DOHC.

Cepflight, Did you ever get this resolved? does anyone know what the solution was? Please advise.

thanks

·
Registered
24 Posts
Replaced the PCM and everything is perfect.:D

I ordered the PCM from an Ebay motors add. Got a reprogrammed PCM and two programmed keys (uncut). $240 plus $4 to cut two keys to my original.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I'm glad it worked out! I'm sorry I didn't see your 2nd post. I didn't get the notification email. I had an automotive locksmith program the PCM to my original keys with a special computer that he had which attached to the OBDII port. Just out of curuousity, where did you get the PCM with the keys?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts