Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ah yes..... It's that time the ORIGINAL Cam Synchronizer has finally went out, The car has an irratic idle but runs fine so I'll be replacing it this Friday. The main question I have is do any of you have tips or suggestions in making this easier to replace? I know you need to remove the intake tubing and unbolt that wiring harness and move it out of the way, is that really all there is to it? I'll be replacing the whole Cam synchronizer unit and the sensor (I'm buying Motorcraft parts) Might as well replace it all if I'm in there for cheap insurance.

Thanks again guys,

Troy. :D

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
The exact position should be between the outside notch and the rotating "flag". I took a picture when I replaced the syncronizer in my Explorer (almost identical with the Vulcan one). The inner assy (with the flag) will rotate when is removed/inserted because of the angle of the gears. The inside flag will not move once inserted, because the ax will will mate with the oil pump square. So adjustment is done rotating the outside till it gets in the same position - regardless of the absolute position relative to the engine block. Then tighten the bottom screw/holder.

BTW, on my Explorer that code wasn't the sensor fault, it was the low voltage due to a bad alternator (I had only some 13V running).

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yea I just had the Battery and alternator tested - They passed, it was the first thing I thought of. Thank you for the advice guys! This morning the car started acting up and cutting out when I was driving to work, no flashing CEL on but I might have to replace it sooner than friday. ITBWNL. :(

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I just finished installing my Cam synchro and boy I'm glad I did, the sensor itself was fine, the bearing inside however did not make any noise when the car was running but I took it out and spun it and man was it VERY noisy. I was only moments away from the death chirp I'm sure. Thank you for the above information, I just made sure the tooth was centered between the keyway and took the old one out, lubed up the new one and dropped it in, reconnected everything and she runs GREAT!

The sensor I had was the original cam synchro! the cause of failure was the top o-ring seal that keeps moisture out of the top area of the sensor, I found rust in mine and that's where the noise is coming from as well.

Troy. :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts