Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The CEL went on yesterday while I was accelerating onto a bridge at around 40 MPH. The light flashes for about 30 seconds and turned solid. The code is P0304. Cylinder 4 misfire.

Similarly things happened 10 days ago. Again, accelerating onto the other bridge, the light flashes at 40MPH and for around 1 minutes, then just turned off. I did have Autozone check the code, and there was just nothing found, even no code history stored on the computer.

The car has been working normal and I can barely feel anything even with the CEL. I do recently hear there sounds something is vibrating under the hood close to the firewall while driving, not really loud though. All that I can recall is that I sent the car for a oil change two weeks ago. Also, I just found that the transmission fluid is 4 inches higher than the high mark of the ruler. I am not sure it might have anything to do with the CEL.

Could somebody please advice on what might be wrong? Also, which cylinder is #4?

·
Don't Be Stupid
7,049 Posts
Cylinder arrangement is like so:

Firewall
Radiator

Check your plugs/wires

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
After driving it for two days, ~100 miles, the CEL went off just now automatically, really weird. Could somebody please advice what might be going on?

·
Premium Member
9,959 Posts
The transmission fluid is measured after the car sits overnight.
[/b]
You are reading the fluid level incorrectly. When the engine is off, the fluid will read high. Read your owner's manual. All automatic transmissions require the engine to be warm and running, trans in park when the fluid is checked.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks. What is going on with the CEL then?

<div class='quotemain'>
[/b]
You are reading the fluid level incorrectly. When the engine is off, the fluid will read high. Read your owner's manual. All automatic transmissions require the engine to be warm and running, trans in park when the fluid is checked.
[/b][/quote]

·
Premium Member
9,959 Posts

<div class='quotemain'>
<div class='quotemain'>
[/b]
[/b][/quote]
[/b][/quote]

again... how old are the plugs and wires?

·
Registered
4 Posts
About 2 years ago, I had to have the coil pack replaced on mu '02 for the same reason, #2 misfire. I had real driveablility issues with mine, tho. Easy to change once you get the intake manifold off!

The CEL went on yesterday while I was accelerating onto a bridge at around 40 MPH. The light flashes for about 30 seconds and turned solid. The code is P0304. Cylinder 4 misfire.

Similarly things happened 10 days ago. Again, accelerating onto the other bridge, the light flashes at 40MPH and for around 1 minutes, then just turned off. I did have Autozone check the code, and there was just nothing found, even no code history stored on the computer.

The car has been working normal and I can barely feel anything even with the CEL. I do recently hear there sounds something is vibrating under the hood close to the firewall while driving, not really loud though. All that I can recall is that I sent the car for a oil change two weeks ago. Also, I just found that the transmission fluid is 4 inches higher than the high mark of the ruler. I am not sure it might have anything to do with the CEL.

Could somebody please advice on what might be wrong? Also, which cylinder is #4?
[/b]

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
<div class='quotemain'>

<div class='quotemain'>
<div class='quotemain'>
[/b]
[/b][/quote]
[/b][/quote]

again... how old are the plugs and wires?
[/b][/quote]
:werd:
Plugs, wires and coil packs are the most common causes of a misfire. Check all 3. And when checking the tranny fluid, along with the engine running and warm, and the car in park or neutral, it also needs to be sitting on a fairly level surface, otherwise that'll throw off the reading as well.

·
Premium Member
1,018 Posts
I believe Nidan is correct. I had a similar experience when I replaced my plugs and ignition cables at 60K miles, Duratec engine. About 10K miles later the number #2 cylinder was indicating a misfire. ROOT CAUSE of the problem was I replace my Motorcraft spark plugs and cables with Bosch Platinum Plugs, Bosch Ignition Cables thinking it was a good upgrade. Well it wasn't. Bosch Platinum Plugs were starting to fail after 10K miles. If you look at the design of the Motorcraft spark plugs and the design of the Bosch spark plugs you will understand why. These plugs in my opinion have radically different designs.

This happen several years ago.

I would only recommend the factory Motorcraft spark plugs and or something with a very similar design. As far as ignition cables I would go with Motorcraft or Magnecor ignition cables. I've always had good luck with Magnecor ignition cables.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I checked the spark plug earlier today. While I pulled the spark plug wire out, the wire outside wall is covered with some red color things, which looks like rust to me. I pulled 5 and 6 out. There is not such red dust. Could anybody please suggest what it might be and the causes?

Thanks

·
Registered
40 Posts

[/b]
This kinda sounds like the problem i had. My light did the same thing blinked and became solid. Sounds like an egr problem either valve or sensor. Also it might be a good idea if ur over 100,000 miles to have ur pcv valve changed if u havent already.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts