Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

I have been searching around this website to hopefully fix my wife's Taurus issues, however, I am resorting to asking the questions as I am not finding the answers on my own.

It is a 2002 Taurus SES with the 3.0L OHV engine. Recently, we have been having a lot of issues where the car will begin bucking or misfiring when it shifts between the two higher gears. Essentially this only happens when accelerating hard on the highway at ~70MPH when attempting to pass a truck or some other vehicle or to merge.

I started with the obvious and checked the transmission fluid and other essentials to see if it was a transmission problem because of the change in the TAC and the fact it only occurred at higher RPMs and between two gears. At that point, it looked like a transmission problem, but I ignored it because of the associated repair costs. I moved onto replacing the plugs and wires.

Currently, I have Bosch Platinum +4 plugs and new Autolite professional series wires installed. The first set of Boschs caused some problems because of hairline cracks in two of the plugs and this caused a P0305 code. At this point, the problems with the bucking were made a LOT worse and I swapped out the bad plugs. Problem "solved."

Everything was fine until yesterday. I had to accelerate hard after abruptly braking and the engine seemed to misfire again and the CEL came on. I checked it today and found a P0300 code.

I am a bit puzzled at this moment as to what to check next. From what I have found, people have suggested checking the coil as well as some of the other sensors (CPS, Mass Airflow sensor, EGR valve), as well as checking the fuel delivery system.

On a possibly related note, the transmission in this car has historically seemed to "puke up" transmission fluid out of the transmission dipstick shaft. There is no regularity to it and it doesn't seem to be related to the transmission fill level.

Any thoughts?
Many thanks!

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Get those evil Bosch +4 plugs out of there, and install regular old Autolite or Motorcraft single platinum.

·
Super Moderator
8,732 Posts
+3 Get those POS Bosch plugs out of there. Many of us, including me, have found that Bosch plugs, especially the +2, +4 do not work in Ford engines.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you everyone for the notes regarding the plugs. I haven't had them long (a few weeks) and I will have to swallow hard on the price I paid for them.

Anyway, I took a look at the bottom of the coil today and it seemed normal (i.e. no cracks).

IF the issue remains after the bosch to motorcraft changeout, any suggestions?

Again, many thanks!

·
Registered
39 Posts
My 01 purrs like a kitten with Autolite Ap104's in it. Those Bosch plugs don't live long with our type of ignition systems. I have yet to hear anything good about those type of plugs.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I would also check that rubber elbow that connects the pcv valve to the top of the intake. It happened to me, that it had tiny cracks around the bend barely visible. My car would run fine until I demanded passing power. Once I replaced it, problem solved.
03 SES Vulcan owner.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts