Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is the first time I have posted here so I appreciate any help I can get. I have a 99 Ford Taurus with the 3.0 Duratec DOHC. The car has 62,000 miles on it. It runs rough and will sometimes die. It will start right back up. I know the 0401 code is probably the PDFE. You can apply vacuum to the EGR valve and it will open and close easily and will hold. From searching I also know that the 0171 and 0174 are lean codes for the front and back bank. Now, could all these codes be related or do I have two problems going on. Thanks Again.

·
Registered
104 Posts
P0171 & P0174 are usually caused by a Vacuum leak or leaks in the Intake Manifold(s). Sometimes a faulty MAF/BARO sensor can cause this too. P0401 is most likely NOT related to other DTCs.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Speaking from experince on all these

P0401 as you suggest could be DPFE, some Autozones have a bench test book that shows how you can bench test DPFE. It could also be casued by EGR ports being plugged. Pull the throttle body and check them. It could also be caused by a vacuum leak, which may also casue the other two codes, is the car running rough?? If so look for a vacuum leak.

The other two codes could be from the oxygen sensors. Chiltons has a diagnostic test you can run on these sensors

·
Premium Member
10,022 Posts
Usually if it's lean on both banks, it's because of a vacuum leak. It is VERY rare for both HO2S sensors to go bad at the same time.

The engine vacuum should be about 20 in Hg. You can "rent" a vacuum gauge from Autozone. Or if you live near Kankakee, IL you can come borrow mine.

oh, and welcome to the TCCA.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I first want to say thank you to all who replied. The hose that feeds the pcv valve, at least that is what it looked lik it fed, had a two inch split in it. I did go ahead and replace the PDFE, and I am glad I did because it was pretty corroded inside. I had to reset the pcm but it runs really good now, shifts like it should, and slows down when you let off the gas. Thanks again for all the help. I truly appreciate.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts