Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, all. I have a 2005 Taurus SEL with the 24v Duratec. I recently changed the spark plugs, air filter, fuel filter, trans fluid and filter at the same time. These are all jobs I've previously done on this car with no problems. I'm no mechanic, but I'm not a newb either.

After performing the above the car drove just fine the first time I took it out. The second time I cranked it, it initially hunted for an idle (bounced between 500-1300 rpm) and bogged down from a red light one time and barely moved. Then the third/last time I've driven it, it again hunted for an idle. It also bogged down trying to accelerate again and ultimately died. I was able to limp it back roughly a block back to my house.

Now it threw a CEL and gave me the codes:
P0171 System too Lean (Bank 1)
P0174 System too Lean (Bank 2)
P0183 Fuel Temperature Sensor A Circuit High Input
P0193 Fuel Rail Pressure Sensor Circuit High Input

I double checked and all vacuum hoses which were disconnected to take the upper intake off are all snuggly reconnected. I can't find an other broken/cracked hoses either. If I only had the P0171 & P0174 I would be sure I had a vacuum leak. But the P0183 & P0193 are making me think I might have a bad fuel pressure sensor which is also causing the too lean condition. The timing is suspect that everything was fine until I changed the plugs, but the P0183 & P0193 make me thing it's the sensor.

Any thoughts?

Thanks again.

·
Super Moderator
7,829 Posts
Check the electrical plug on the FPTS to be sure it is properly connected and no corrosion / damaged pins in the connector. Also trace the FPTS harness to be sure it wasnt pinched / damaged during the UIM removal / installation.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Check the electrical plug on the FPTS to be sure it is properly connected and no corrosion / damaged pins in the connector. Also trace the FPTS harness to be sure it wasnt pinched / damaged during the UIM removal / installation.
Thanks for the reply. I did check the connectors for corrosion and unplugged/plugged it back in to make sure it snapped together tightly. Nothing else appears to be pinched including the vacuum line coming off of it.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The rough idle also seems to be when the engine is cold. After it starts to warm up it seems to idle and rev fine.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Can't edit the previous post... But i tried to take it gor a quick spin since the idle levelled out. But now its died, will barely run at all with the gas pedal to the floor, and is only giving code P0193.

·
Registered
9,669 Posts
Can't edit the previous post... But i tried to take it gor a quick spin since the idle levelled out. But now its died, will barely run at all with the gas pedal to the floor, and is only giving code P0193.

What causes the P0193 code?

• Low or no fuel
  • Wiring that is exposed, broken, shorted, or corroded
  • Connectors that are corroded
  • Fuel filter that is clogged
  • Defective fuel pump relay
  • Bad fuel rail sensor
  • Defective fuel pump
Copy and paste from internet search.

-chart-

·
Super Moderator
7,829 Posts
Good chance the fuel pump is dead.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Check that the wires are connected to the correct spark plugs. The back bank of spark plugs can easily have the wires crossed. I had my mechanic check the wiring and he found no problem. His friend check the wires and said they were correct. Finally I drove my other 2007 Taurus over and used it to find the wiring. After checking the wiring on my Taurus, I checked the other Taurus by touch and it was wrong. I had the mechanic feel the wires and he agreed that he had the wires crossed. Put the wires on correctly and it engine ran fine.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts