Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Ford Customer Service

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a 2005 Taurus with the "U" vin, which I think is the Vulcan engine and 150K miles. I am getting a P0171 & P0174 for a lean bank 1 & 2 condition as well as a sound coming from the air filter can which sounds like popcorn popping inside it. I have inspected the housing and can find no defects. There are no other codes in memory.

I have also cleaned the MAFS, throttle body, checked all the lines for air leaks with TB cleaner, recently replaced the Intake Manifold Tuning Valve gasket, plugs and fuel filter last year and try to run only quality gas as well as adding fuel additives like Techron at least monthly.

It was mentioned to me that the EGR valve might be the cause but no codes for that and since no codes have shown for the O2 sensors and they are detecting the lean condition, so I have been told that they should not need to be replaced.

Any advice you might give me would be appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
10,939 Posts
I have a 2005 Taurus with the "U" vin, which I think is the Vulcan engine and 150K miles. I am getting a P0171 & P0174 for a lean bank 1 & 2 condition as well as a sound coming from the air filter can which sounds like popcorn popping inside it. I have inspected the housing and can find no defects. There are no other codes in memory.

I have also cleaned the MAFS, throttle body, checked all the lines for air leaks with TB cleaner, recently replaced the Intake Manifold Tuning Valve gasket, plugs and fuel filter last year and try to run only quality gas as well as adding fuel additives like Techron at least monthly.

It was mentioned to me that the EGR valve might be the cause but no codes for that and since no codes have shown for the O2 sensors and they are detecting the lean condition, so I have been told that they should not need to be replaced.

Any advice you might give me would be appreciated. Thanks.
lean can be low fuel pressure as well as vacuum leaks.

-chart

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
this, that and the other thing

Thanks for the replys, I have checked around the PCV with TB cleaner and replaced the hose that runs from the PCV across the top of the intake manifold as well just last week. I am getting 29.4 MPG on the highway as I take long 5 hr trips every 10-14 days to where I work.

I will replace the PCV as I have not done this yet and see what happens, Thanks for your comments, Please keep them coming.
fun2no33

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Your IAC valve could be sticking causing the "popping" noise your hearing which would explain the lean codes AND the noise. You can try cleaning it to see if the issue goes away as far as the popping noise but if the seal on the valve is bad it won't fix the lean codes.

Troy.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This car appears to have a plastic PCV valve with an electrical 2 prong connector going to it. The grommet appears to be ok. I have sprayed TB cleaner at the block/grommet interface and hear no increase in RPM. I am still wondering about the EGR valve. Do you have any thoughts on a failure in this area?

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
EGR would throw EGR specific codes, P0401 P0402 etc... so I don't think that's the issue. Did you replace the IAC gasket when you replaced the IAC valve?

·
Registered
23,578 Posts
Also check the black rubber vacuum elbow on the rear of the manifold with the 2 red or red and green small hard lines running into it. Make sure the elbow is not swollen or deteriorated and the hard lines are inserted.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
About the EGR system, I have never had an issue with it on my Vulcan but if someone would like to chime in on this it would be great.

Troy.

·
Registered
3,377 Posts
iac can make noise, also would look for something trapped in thet air pick up tube before the filter.
common both bank lean issues for the vulcan can be.
1) air leak after the maf.
2)composite intake manifold failure. ( hole or crack )
3) fuel filter or fuel pump
4) the rubber hose from the tb to the manifold is bad.
5) bad maf
unplug the maf and see if the car runs better. if it does the maf is malfunctioning if it doesnt improve when unplugged then you have a vac leak.
verify fuel pressure and see if its within specs also

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
New information: I have changed the IAC with new gasket and cleaned the IAC intake orifices. Rechecked all the Vac lines and around the upper intake manifold that I could get to. The car is idling a little rough on cold startup but I am not getting anything but a lean bank 1 & 2 (P0171,P10174) code. I am still getting 29+ MPG and have good power whild driving on the highway. The only odd thing I might mention is that the fuel cap light came on for a day but when I reset the OBD II it went away but I replaced the gas cap anyway. The elbow that Shiela mentioned looks ok and no reaction to being sprayed with TB of increased RPM while idling.
I am becoming frustrated and totally sick of this car and really disappointed in Ford!!
Fun2no33

·
Registered
10,939 Posts
New information: I have changed the IAC with new gasket and cleaned the IAC intake orifices. Rechecked all the Vac lines and around the upper intake manifold that I could get to. The car is idling a little rough on cold startup but I am not getting anything but a lean bank 1 & 2 (P0171,P10174) code. I am still getting 29+ MPG and have good power whild driving on the highway. The only odd thing I might mention is that the fuel cap light came on for a day but when I reset the OBD II it went away but I replaced the gas cap anyway. The elbow that Shiela mentioned looks ok and no reaction to being sprayed with TB of increased RPM while idling.
I am becoming frustrated and totally sick of this car and really disappointed in Ford!!
Fun2no33
lean is either, vacuum leak, or low fuel pressure.

-chart-

1 - 12 of 12 Posts