Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am getting a code P0136 for bank 1, sensor 2 (i.e., downstream sensor) and P0161 for bank 2, sensor 2 on my 1998 Taurus 12v engine. So, codes for both downstream sensors. I just recently dropped the y-pipe to replace the oil pan gasket on the vehicle. I unplugged all the O2 sensors before dropping the pipe, so I doubt there is an issue with stretched or broken wires. Could it be that I misaligned the y-pipe flanges with the exhaust manifold such that I have an exhaust leak in both streams and I am getting this code from both O2 sensors? Is it possible that both sensors went bad at exactly the same time? Actually, now that I think about it, I would have an issue with the upstream O2 sensors if the exhaust leak was between the exhaust manifold and the y-pipe flange. So, I am out of ideas.

Anybody have any idea why I am getting these codes?

Thanks

·
Registered
233 Posts
I would replace the sensors first, especially if they've been in the car since new. I think it's unlikely that an exhaust leak is going to give you those codes, though I may be wrong. I've seen a lot of 'bad cat' problems go away with new sensors.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would replace the sensors first, especially if they've been in the car since new. I think it's unlikely that an exhaust leak is going to give you those codes, though I may be wrong. I've seen a lot of 'bad cat' problems go away with new sensors.
Thanks. I went and replaced the sensors earlier in the week and so far we are on day 4 of driving the vehicle and no codes are showing up. Keeping my fingers crossed that this holds up. The old sensors were original to the vehicle. 21 years old and 250,000 miles of exhaust gas went through them. Hoping to get another 250,000 miles out of the car. lol

1 - 3 of 3 Posts