Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
That is it. I've got "Service engine soon" light on my way to work. Computer said - P0040 -Catalytic converter. Shop guy suggested me to go to the dealer. And told me that price could be more $1000. Holy shoot!
So, question is - is it urgent problem and is it dangerous to drive this car? Or I can wait ,say, a couple of years? :) What would be a consequences of not to repair this thing?
Thanks.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Holy crap! I didn't realize a cat for a Taurus costs so much! Even for my '92! I've only replaced one in my life on my '87 Caprice and that was only around $150 for the thing!</rant>

I did some research and found that the price is about right. A couple years would be way too long to wait. When mine plugged up it created severe drivability problems (only went up to 45 MPH) and smelled like rotten eggs. Is your car new enough that it is covered under warranty? If not ask if they offer financing. :lol:

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry for not mentioning this earlier - it's 97'Taurus with 116k on it. Yer, I know - it's almost time to die. ;)
BTW, shop guy reseted the computer and change oil(it was about time for that) and after 30 miles the light is still off.
About sluggish run - I don't see it . Visa versa, after I had been filling my bully with shevron during 2 months I've got significant improvement in acceleration and ability to keep up speed . At least, I want to think this way .

·
Registered
276 Posts
116K is not bad, mine has 177K and still runs relatively well. Well glad to hear that it doesn't seem to be anything serious.

·
Premium Member
15,578 Posts
Try replacing the cat(s) first. A cat replacement does not cost a grand. The shop tech was talking out of his a** or trying to overcharge you. Go to a different shop and have them replace the cat or cats. Buy a set of high flow cats from www.jcwhitney.com or ebay, and get a muffler shop to weld them in. You'll probably spend like $150 for both cats, and like $50 to get them replaced. That will let you know if there is a problem with the cats and if that code has to do with the cats or something else, like your 02 sensors...

JR

·
Registered
12 Posts
I replaced the Cat and O2 sensor in a 91 3.0L with 95K miles. I got the stuff at Advantage for 272.88 cat 57.63 for the O2 sensor and installed them myself. The cat was clogged from running rich.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Interesting thing I noticed - here ODBII codes for Taurus start from P0100.
But here - such code P0040 exists.
Can somebody comment it? What is true?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts