Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just when I solved those pesky 171 and 174 now another problem has arisen.

The instrument panel is of the type that you can't see the Shift lettering until the car's started. I have a floor shift console. I use to see the lettering change as I changed gears. Now it remains permanently blank like in pic 1 even when the car is started and running. No problems with car running. I would naturally assume a burnt out blub only because the console lights are lit when turning the ignition switch. However in Pic 2 it shows the back of the instrument panel there doesn't appear to be a blub for that area of the panel.

Does anyone have any idea how this area of the instrument panel functions, is there a bulb or LED for each Shift-letter or just one. If it is solely electronic as in not a bulb replacement, can it be repair, or do I have a problem else where.

The car shifts fine no problem, unfortunately the orange decal is mission on the shift so one can't see at a glance what gear one is in.

Any help would be most appreciated.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,300 Posts
On my 97 F150, there is a light bulb. In your second photo, what is the label for the light below the letter p in "P10269"?

·
Premium Member
1,523 Posts
I'm thinking electronic.
A mechanical one would have a zip string to attach to the column or cable for a floor shift. My '00 is column shift and visible all the time and moves running or not.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
On my 97 F150, there is a light bulb. In your second photo, what is the label for the light below the letter p in "P10269"?
Thanks for your suggestion.

I presumed that particular bulb was for the background lighting for the speedometer dial. That lights up fine. Just the Shift letters aren't.

I guess logically there must be an electronic coming from the floor shift to let that console know which gear it is in, as oppose to a cable like other shifting mechanisms.

I am guessing it isn't a fuse, as I would suspect the whole dash would be out if it were.

So that would leave some connector or switch in the Floor shift area that my be disconnected etc ....

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
Any 97 and newer Taurus/Sable with a console/floor shifter does not have a gear indicator under the speedometer. Take the two torx screws off that hold on the blank out cover where the indicator is. There should be nothing there. You're also missing the 3rd connector on the back of the instrument cluster for the electrical signals to be sent to indicate the current gear.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Any 97 and newer Taurus/Sable with a console/floor shifter does not have a gear indicator under the speedometer. Take the two torx screws off that hold on the blank out cover where the indicator is. There should be nothing there. You're also missing the 3rd connector on the back of the instrument cluster for the electrical signals to be sent to indicate the current gear.

Bull Geek and Shelia, thank you for the input.

I sort of cheated...I didn't want to open my instrument panel only to find out that it couldn't be fixed etc, so to save the anguish, I found some pictures online and uploaded them here to clearly show what I was referring to.

I could have sworn that I have seen them lit, but...in looking at Youtube videos of people driving their bulls with the same type of panel as mine, they are never illuminated. The penny was beginning to drop that perhaps I didn't have a problem or a consistently bad part.

Thanks for the clarification.

:D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts