Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know what price range getting my P & p work done would be? It will be on a vulcan and will that alone help any performance-wise or would I have to put other mods as well?

B

·
0 Posts
It all depends on what you want done. I'll run down my prices, and you can use them to compare.

Vulcan upper intake-gasket match,port, polish, paint exterior- $100

Vulcan heads-gasket match and polish exhaust ports, paint exterior-$150 for the pair of heads.

Vulcan heads-all above, plus gasket matching and polishing of the intake ports-$200.

A couple things to note: you don't want to touch the lower intake, the rougher surface helps to atomize and swirl the fuel mixture a little better. Also, the stock bowl area around the valves is adequate, so there's no need to go nuts there as long as you're not planning on forced induction.

Porting and polishing tends to yield better gains in the upper RPM's. With the Vulcan engine, the low end torque is retained, and freer breathing is allowed at higher RPM's. I had done this to the first engine that was in the car, and it showed about a 4-5 HP increase on the dyno.

Porting and polishing on a Vulcan (or any engine for that matter) should be considered a building block for other things, such as forced induction, freer flowing exhaust, etc. Alone, you don't notice that much of an increase, but it will work in conjunction with other mods.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So if I were to run New platinum plugs, 8mm wires, CAI, and dual flowmasters On top of the P & P What could be the estimate of hp gain? 25 - 30 hp?

·
Premium Member
2,090 Posts
Originally posted by Anemicmargarita@Oct 23 2004, 08:39 PM
So if I were to run New platinum plugs, 8mm wires, CAI, and dual flowmasters On top of the P & P What could be the estimate of hp gain? 25 - 30 hp?
i hope your joking , right?

The plugs and wires will gain NOTHING.
Exhaust will probbaly loose some low end, may gain 1hp top end.
CAI is for looks

The only way to gain more than 5-10 hp is forced induction or major engine modifications (stroke/bore)

Brad

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So I only have two options to make my vulcan faster. 1. buy a supercharger or 2. BUY A REAL SPORTS CAR. I think I'm gonna go with number 2 :(. Within about 3 months my Gen II will be up for sale if anyone wants it, low miles, great condition.

·
Registered
117 Posts
honestly, for the money you are thinking about spending on the p&p, you should invest in a chip. you will notice some gains from it.....not just a little on the top end! i agree with brad, plug wires get you nothing, stock air box flows plenty of air per the demands of the motor(stock) and too large of an exhaust will be a dissapointment! brian

1 - 8 of 8 Posts