Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought a scanner and wouldn't you know a cel came on last night. I found code p0174 left bank lean. I cleaned the MAF and checked the PVC tube for cracks. Checked intake bolts for looseness and other vacuum lines. Just changed fuel filter about a month ago. Air filter is clean. Car only has 34000 miles. I had a 1996 with the same 3.0 vulcan but I noticed some slight changes in the manifold area in the 07. Any other ideas ? I cleared the code but it came back. Cleared it again after all the above checks and haven't driven it much since. One more thing ..could a dirty injector cause this code ? if so would some Lucas fuel system cleaner help ?

·
Super Moderator
8,590 Posts
Will your scanner check for pending codes, specifically a P0171? Will your scanner read PCM data, like LTFT (long term fuel trim) on each bank?

Without any more detailed info, I would suspect intake gasket leak on bank 2. Tightening intake down could have even made the problem worse if gasket is cracked. Since you have an 07, another possibility would be the runner control valve gasket (pending codes and LTFT values would help in the diagnosis here). Leaking runner control valve gasket is a well documented problem.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have the Actron cp9180 scanner. I checked for pending codes but there weren't any. I had only p0174. As far as other question about realtime data I am not sure as I just got this scanner and am learning. What exactly would I be looking for? I am open to to any help if this code reappears. I put some Lucas fuel injector cleaner last night.

·
Premium Member
1,283 Posts
Basic code readers can only do that. Your unit is not a scanner, it is a code reader. Scanner can read real time data from the vehicle computer. Even so, many code readers do read other data that was stored in memory at the time of the code. When the lean code was set, data such as vehicle speed, engine load, Long Term Fuel Trim, etc. will be stored as well and can be displayed with the code if your reader supports it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Just bought a scanner and wouldn't you know a cel came on last night. I found code p0174 left bank lean. I cleaned the MAF and checked the PVC tube for cracks. Checked intake bolts for looseness and other vacuum lines. Just changed fuel filter about a month ago. Air filter is clean. Car only has 34000 miles. I had a 1996 with the same 3.0 vulcan but I noticed some slight changes in the manifold area in the 07. Any other ideas ? I cleared the code but it came back. Cleared it again after all the above checks and haven't driven it much since. One more thing ..could a dirty injector cause this code ? if so would some Lucas fuel system cleaner help ?
My generic codes show "System too lean, Bank 2". My own experience with this code on Fords is almost always a vacuum leak from a disconnected vacuum hose or, in some instances, a melted hose, usually the nice expensive rubber elbows. Check all the vacuum lines to make sure they're not melted, and are securely connected. A bad injector will almost always show up as a misfire.

·
Super Moderator
8,590 Posts
If there is only a 174 and no pending 171, my guess (without looking at fuel trims for each bank) would be and intake gasket leak on back 2. Split vac hoses, MAF problems, etc. wil lalmost often set lean codes for both banks.

I THINK the 9180 can see basic PIDs, like short and long term fuel trims, load, ECT, IAT, RPM, as well as freeze frame, etc. Check the manual.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the advice. No light since I reset fault and will keep all info in mind if it should reappear. I really should read up on this AutoScanner Plus from Actron. I bought it from Advance online right before going to Cleveland Clinic for brain surgery about a month ago.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts