Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a '98 Taurus that is sucking gas like a Slurpee. A while ago, it threw a "system too lean bank 1" code. The guy at the parts store said it was probably the 02 sensor. So I cancelled the code and went on my way. I got another sensor at the junk yard and finally got around to putting it in, but it still sucks gas. My question is: do I have to re-program something, or could the sensor be bad?

·
Super Moderator
8,732 Posts
If the code was a P0171, the problem is NOT the O2 sensor. You most likely have a vacuum leak. If there is no current or pending 174 code, most likely cause is leaking intake gasket on bank 1. Never trust some 18 year old kid at the parts store to diagnose your car problems.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Lol Jeff, it's almost like they train them to intentionally misdiagnose faults. How does anyone with even a cursory knowledge of modern cars still not know that O2 sensor codes don't mean "replace the O2 sensor"? :angry:

(That's directed at the parts stores, not the OP)

·
Registered
5,820 Posts
Never use an O2 sensor from the junkyard as they can be bad or have a short life. Just get a new one when it needs to be replaced.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts