Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Will the ambiant (outside) air temperature affect an oxygen sensor? My understanding is the the exterior (outside of exhaust pipe) has access to the outside air. I'm wondering if my sensor is slowly breaking down if it could become worse when it's extremely hot outside. Anyone know?

·
Registered
99 Posts
No.

The O2 sensors work when they reach their normal operating temperature either through the exhaust gases or, in the case of Tauruses and Sables, from its internal heating elements.

If the O2 sensor is so compromised to be affected by the outside, your vehicle computers will alert you of a problem with the CHECK ENGINE indicator. The only solution would be to replace the sensors.

Since O2 sensors do wear out, it is recommended that they be replaced every 60,000 to 100,000 miles. You can have sensors that work just enough to keep the computer from complaining, but are marginal enough to cause some performance problems. - Reinhart

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for info. Very helpful. I wasn't understanding correctly about sensors having access to outside air. It didn't make much sense to me. Car has 95,000 on it. Front one was replaced about 10,000 miles ago due to CIL (code). Guess it's time to replace rear and see if this helps with my hesitation problem and car sucking gas like there's no tomorrow.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts