Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently I have had issues with the coolant in my car. At first the temp gauge would move to just above high and immediately move back to normal. It would do this every 5mins. I started by just replacing the thermostat and coolant (no flush). It ran well for about a week of hard driving with no issues. I then took it on a short road trip. On the way back the temp gauge went to beyond high and the cap overflowed. I was able to drain and replace the coolant again and drive the 3hours back home. Once home I attempted to flush the coolant once I got home. I followed the post here and got to the point of actually flushing. The tank will boil over every 2 mins when trying to flush. I made sure when filling the tank that it stayed between the lines. I am not sure where to go from here. Is there air bubbles, the water pump, corrosion, clog, gremlins.....I bought a new water pump but I am not sure that is the issue. There were no signs of it going bad (sounds, leaking,). Please help.

·
Premium Member
10,022 Posts
was the coolant you drained out of the radiator brown? It sounds to me that you have some debris in there that is cloggin the system. the coolant is only flowing intermittently. The other option is that the engine temperature or temperature gauge sensors are going bad.

Are the fans kicking on when the engine temp gauge spikes? How quickly does the gauge rise and fall?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Did check for foriegn objects when you replaced the thermostat? It could be the thermostat is sticking shut then popping open. They can do this intermitantly or with every cycle. Could also be very very small crack or gasket leak that causes an air bubble under thermostat, (not likely but possible), and gets worse with every heat spike. I know this is a long shot but I just went through it, and even had the coolant checked for cumbustion gasses. When water started coming out the tail pipe the heads came off and both heads were cracked in two places. This was on a 6.2 diesel by the way, not a Taurus, but it could happen. The symptoms are the same as you describe. O, and by the way, one temperature spike can ruin a thermostat!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was surprized when draining the coolant that were no issues. I didn't see that the coolant was brown or had anything in it. Same with flushing. Nothing came from flushing the coolant :huh: . I have gone and bought a new temp sender and plan on putting it in on Sunday along with a new water pump and another themostat. This is my 3rd car and I have been to busy w/ work and the kids to give this car the attention it needs :) . I'll let you know what happens and thanks for the help.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, I am now back to square one. The car is running ok but the temp guage is still acting up. I replaced the sender and did notice the fan are kicking on now. I also replaced the thermostat and water pump(big pain). The heater is working better than it ever has. Any ideas on what is causing the guage to still move up and down?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Which sender did you change? I believe that there are two - one that 'reads' the coolant temperature (the ECT sensor) and send it to the computer and the other one that controls the gauge. If you changed the first one, then the second one may need to be changed to.. but it maybe best to check it before changing.. it's not hard. It's a simple resistor.

Good luck!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts