Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So right now my car has two problems.

The first is that sometimes when driving in town my car will start to heat up and get closer to the hot side when waiting at a stop light or something. Sometimes when I have to drive really slow behind someone. Now usually it will cool back down when I am moving but sometimes it stays up near the hot side. If I flush out the hoses around the heater core it usually helps for a couple days.

The second problem is that sometimes when I am slowing down to stop at a stop sign or light my car will jerk and stay revved up over 1000 rpms. Usually it is below 1000 rpms when stopped. When it does this the car will vibrate. And then when I take my foot off of the brake, the car will automatically start moving and slowly gains speed until it is at about 50 mph.

The only thing that I know is wrong with it is the P0401 code.

·
Premium Member
10,632 Posts
Your P0401 code tells you that the EGR system difficiency (or something to that matter)... You want to change out your DPFE sensor (which is the problem about 99% of the time on the Taurus/Sable line) That should help with your idling issue as well... For your overheating issue... Is it going all the way into the HOT line or is it just creeping up and then go back down after a small amount of time? Do you notice your fans kicking on? How is your coolant looking? Is it brown at all?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
QUOTE (Firespirit @ Mar 21 2009, 09:38 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=711028
Your P0401 code tells you that the EGR system difficiency (or something to that matter)... You want to change out your DPFE sensor (which is the problem about 99% of the time on the Taurus/Sable line) That should help with your idling issue as well... For your overheating issue... Is it going all the way into the HOT line or is it just creeping up and then go back down after a small amount of time? Do you notice your fans kicking on? How is your coolant looking? Is it brown at all?[/b]
Yeah I was planning on changing the sensor first chance I got. And for the overheating problem it sometimes gets all the way to the hot line. Other times it just creeps up and then settles back down after I am moving again. And sometimes it doesn't move above normal at all. But all of these times my fans do kick on.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Check to see if your fans are engaging, they usually kick on when the temp needle gets halfway up the gauge to cool it back down. They also should engage when the A/C is on as well.. If they are working then I would look to the water pump or radiator. If your coolant is brown and rusty, then the water pump impellers probably aren't in very good shape either..

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
The radiators get clogged up with plant fuzz. If the fans are coming on then this is probably the problem. Could be the pump impeller is ate away too if regular cooling maintenance has been neglected.

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
Best way is to take it out. PITA though. I would try taking out the fans (easy to do) then using an air hose that has a smaller hose that can be manipulated blow from the engine side out.

Others go up from the front but IMHO it is only driving the stuff in deeper.

There's a couple threads on this from the past.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts