Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey...

I've got a 1990 3.0 GL Wagon. Running well at 168k, apart from this pesky overheating issue. The engine temp is fine if driving 40+ mph uninterrupted on highways, etc. As soon as I'm stuck in a traffic jam, however, the gauge shoots up to about 3/4 of the way to "H" and I can definitely smell the engine running too hot.

All the while, the electric fan is off.

Should the fan run when the engine is, say, in the middle of the temp gauge, or only when extremely hot? (I never use my AC-- needs recharge.)

I could replace the "constant control module" with a $45 used part. Does this part have a bad reputation? Would it be more likely for the fan motor itself to die? Is there any way to test the CCM for problems?

I've eliminated other issues: new water pump and thermostat last year, radiator recently flushed. Coolant levels are fine.

All help appreciated.

·
Premium Member
2,170 Posts
First I'd pull the electrical connector off of the fan and see if it's getting 12v when the engine heats up.

Also apple 12v to the fan and make sure it spins, you can either rule out the fan or the cars electrical stuff by testing these 2 things.

The fan should go on and off to keep the temp needle in the middle of the guage, that's what my car does.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts