Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So yesterday i was taking a deliver (delivery driver) and the car started to overheat, it got so bad that it wanted to die so i killed it. I waited a bit and it wouldn't start up. So i got a crap load of water and put it in the coolant reservoir . Car started up and ran fine. So i got back to the store and about 30 minutes later it started to overheat again. I went out driving today and it keeps going up and then down and then up again. It goes to about 3/5 of the way then down to half then up to 4/6. I did notice that there is a little liquid around the edge of the reservoir but i don't think its leaking. What should i do, i have been told to check the thermostat, fans, look for leaks. It was low on oil but it had a little in it and i put a quart in and it didn't seem to help it. The weird thing is that when i drive it, it goes up to where it should be right at 2/5 and then waits a little then goes up. Why wouldn't it keep going up if it was getting hot. Thank you in advanced for all your advice.

1999 Taurus 3.0 SOHC

·
Registered
61 Posts
First thing I would do is to change the thermostat, cheap and fairly easy to do. Could be that the thermostat is stuck closed and after it gets hot enough it will open.

You said you got "a crap load of water and put it in the resovior tank". Was it low? Do you think you have a leak somewhere? I would also pressure test the cooling system, might be able to rent a tester from auto parts store. I bought one because they are really handy to have if you do your own maintenance. This will help you see if there is a leak and where it is coming from.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
First thing I would do is to change the thermostat, cheap and fairly easy to do. Could be that the thermostat is stuck closed and after it gets hot enough it will open.

You said you got "a crap load of water and put it in the resovior tank". Was it low? Do you think you have a leak somewhere? I would also pressure test the cooling system, might be able to rent a tester from auto parts store. I bought one because they are really handy to have if you do your own maintenance. This will help you see if there is a leak and where it is coming from.
Yes, like 3 or 4 gallons worth. Then after i got it to the parts store i put some coolant in. I was also told on this car the thermostat is fairly difficult to change. And where could i get the coolant system checked? where and how much? Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
18 Posts
It is not difficult to change the thermostat in this car. I switched mine not too long ago and it went smoothly for me. I had somewhat the same problem where my temperature at the gauge went up to 90% then down and up again. It cycled like that several times and you would hear the fan blow constantly. After changing the thermostat, the temp did not fluctuate. Make sure to visually inspect the reservoir and check the coolant every time to see if you're losing fluid. I've had to replace my reservoir at one time because of a crack on it. A pressure test would determine if there is any leaks in your system.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It is not difficult to change the thermostat in this car. I switched mine not too long ago and it went smoothly for me. I had somewhat the same problem where my temperature at the gauge went up to 90% then down and up again. It cycled like that several times and you would hear the fan blow constantly. After changing the thermostat, the temp did not fluctuate. Make sure to visually inspect the reservoir and check the coolant every time to see if you're losing fluid. I've had to replace my reservoir at one time because of a crack on it. A pressure test would determine if there is any leaks in your system.
Where can i find out how to change it. I want to do it myself but i don't want to make anything worse.

·
Super Moderator
8,732 Posts
You put in 3 or 4 GALLONS worth of water? First of all the total system capacity is under 3 gallons. If you put in anywhere near that much, the system was dry. Temp gauge sender depends on coolant flowing past it to read accurately. If no coolant going past sender, it will typically read temp MUCH LOWER than it would with coolant flowing past it. If you actually ran the engine for very long with virtually no coolant in it (and fairly low on oil), my guess is the engine is toast. The Vulcan likes to blow head gaskets when overheated, which sounds like the best possible outcome of your situation.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You put in 3 or 4 GALLONS worth of water? First of all the total system capacity is under 3 gallons. If you put in anywhere near that much, the system was dry. Temp gauge sender depends on coolant flowing past it to read accurately. If no coolant going past sender, it will typically read temp MUCH LOWER than it would with coolant flowing past it. If you actually ran the engine for very long with virtually no coolant in it (and fairly low on oil), my guess is the engine is toast. The Vulcan likes to blow head gaskets when overheated, which sounds like the best possible outcome of your situation.
The car starts and runs fine and hasn't overheated near as bad as the other day. I just bought a thermostat where can i find how to replace it without buying a manual? i don't have cash til friday..

·
Premium Member
5,895 Posts
If the cooling system is low on coolant air gets into the system. After filling the system, run the engine at a decent rev with the heater on hot and fan on high. After a bit the air should get hot once the thermostat opens. Then top off the coolant, after the engine cools down, re-check the level it will more then likely be low, top it and you should be good.

·
Registered
61 Posts
There has to be a pretty noticable leak to lose that much coolant. I will try to get you some repair info for the thermostat from the factory repair manual tomorrow.

Try calling your local auto parts store and ask them if they rent pressure testers. You will have to pay full price which is probably around 100 bucks but you will get it back in full when returned. A good stant is about 70 bucks new.

Changing the thermostat is a good start but you have a bigger problem somewhere with that leak. Keep a CLOSE eye on your coolant level.

I just did my cousin's 00 vulcan timing cover gasket, water pump, and resovoir tank which had a crack.

·
Registered
7 Posts
hey man, i just went thru this with my 2002, thermostat is simple, remove the three bolts on the thermostat housing, remove old thermostat, clean off old gasket from both surfaces, put a little sealer on both sides of gasket, place new thermostat in housing with spring side to engine, and make sure bleeder valve on thermostat is in the 12 o clock position, then put gasket on over thermostat, this will help hold it in place while you put it into the engine block, put your bolts back in, and tighten them evenly, not one at a time, refill system slowly, when you get about 2 inches of water in the bottom of the res tank start the engine and add water very slowly when it takes the 2 inches from the tank add until back at 2 inches,this will help get air out of the system. wait and see if water level goes down, if not fill to mark on tank, dont over fill, my problem was my coolant res tank, the cap was not holding pressure, does your cap tighten securely? like the others say check for leaks,good luck

·
Registered
7 Posts
oh ya, also flush your system, remove drain plug on bottom of radiator, put a catch pan under it first, with an old t shirt or towel over the pan to catch rust, this way you can get an idea of how much rust is in the system, if lots of rust comes out, you may need a new water pump, they are known for rusting the pump blades off, mine did, try that and post your findings, good luck

·
Registered
697 Posts
Sometimes it's tricky keeping the tsat in place in the housing until you can affix it to the engine. In that case, get a piece of string, run it through the arch of the tstat frame and pull the two ends of the string together, run the ends through the housing and pull on it from the hose side of the fitting, maintaining tension to keep the tsat in place. When the housing is bolted in place, pull the string out.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts