Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to first start by thanking evereyone in here that contributes to this site. It has been a invaluable resource for me.

My 17 yr old son's 2001 Taurus w/duratec overheated on him recently. The coolant leaked out through the bypass hose. Afterwards the car started running rough and the check engine light came on. We're getting a P0301 Cylinder 1 Misfire Detected code. I'm figuring he may have warped the head or blew the head gasket. I have tried to check the compression but I cant get the dang gauge to thread in. I pulled the oil cap and noticed the dreaded white sludge on the underside of the cap. I'm gonna dump his oil tonight to confirm if there is coolant in it. I just kind of wanted to get some of the experts opinions on this.

Sound like I'm on the right track?

Also, I plan on spending the $140.00 to replace that leaking upper hose assembly but I was wondering, is this an indication that the heater core is getting plugged?

Thanks

·
Cake monster
1,584 Posts
I want to first start by thanking evereyone in here that contributes to this site. It has been a invaluable resource for me.

My 17 yr old son's 2001 Taurus w/duratec overheated on him recently. The coolant leaked out through the bypass hose. Afterwards the car started running rough and the check engine light came on. We're getting a P0301 Cylinder 1 Misfire Detected code. I'm figuring he may have warped the head or blew the head gasket. I have tried to check the compression but I cant get the dang gauge to thread in. I pulled the oil cap and noticed the dreaded white sludge on the underside of the cap. I'm gonna dump his oil tonight to confirm if there is coolant in it. I just kind of wanted to get some of the experts opinions on this.

Also, I plan on spending the $140.00 to replace that leaking upper hose assembly but I was wondering, is this an indication that the heater core is getting plugged?

Thanks
The rear head is probably toast. You'll need to have the heads inspected/rebuilt by a machine shop, you might even have to replace one entirely and get the other rebuilt. I would suggest doing both heads at the same time. There's a company that sells "new" thicker heads if you're interested, I haven't tested them so I can't speak for their quality or anything, might be a good idea. Buy a felpro upper end kit.

How long was the engine run with the milk in the crankcase? You now have the possibility of bearing issues down the road. You might want to consider a wrecker engine.

·
Registered
141 Posts

Thanks
just replace the gasket, only a 250 dollar job :]

·
Cake monster
1,584 Posts
just replace the gasket, only a 250 dollar job :]
If you don't get it inspected, you'll need to run a straight edge over the head surface with some feeler gauges to check for warp. These heads crack far too easy, that's why I recommended at least having the machine shop inspect them.

·
Registered
141 Posts
If you don't get it inspected, you'll need to run a straight edge over the head surface with some feeler gauges to check for warp. These heads crack far too easy, that's why I recommended at least having the machine shop inspect them.
i work at a machine shop. but yes odds are one is cracked. your looking at a 60 core charge and 40 on top of that. milling runs you about 100 bucks depending, and you would want to get both sides milled.

it wouldnt take more then a weekend to do.

the trick is bring the heads in tore down, and bring them the new vale guides and stuff that comes in the felpro kit. tell them to magaflux em and reseat the valves.

·
Registered
141 Posts
mel.org click database scroll down click Chilton Libary

type in the car make

Engine mechanical - cylinder heads - removal installation
Engine mechanical - cylinder heads - overhual procedure

·
Registered
141 Posts
Gasket kit = 77$
Head Milling = 100 to 120 maybe 40 more if the head is cracked
oil +coolant = 20 $
sparkplugs = 9 $
fuckups = 15 to 20$
Beer = 20 $

146$ to 180$ total. i mean give or take a few bucks :]

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The rear head is probably toast.
That's what I was thinking too, just wanted to get a second opinion

How long was the engine run with the milk in the crankcase? You now have the possibility of bearing issues down the road. You might want to consider a wrecker engine.
He's probably driven it like this for a couple of weeks now. I have kept a close eye on the oil condition by pulling the dip stick and the oil does not seem to be getting contaminated but I don't know if thats a good indicator or not.

·
Registered
141 Posts
That's what I was thinking too, just wanted to get a second opinion

He's probably driven it like this for a couple of weeks now. I have kept a close eye on the oil condition by pulling the dip stick and the oil does not seem to be getting contaminated but I don't know if thats a good indicator or not.

Drain the oil and flush with mineral spirits.

fill oil back up with 10w40 run the motor drain again put in 10w 30.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts