Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Over heating and need help. 98 DOHC Taurus 219000 mls overheated into red zone and shut it down. Found water pump impeller cracked/slipping and vanes missing. So I replaced pump, radiator, thermostat, and all hoses and any rusted pipe. No water in oil, no coolant loss, no exaust problems. I watch the temperature on a scanner and now it starts out at 174 to 176 for 15 minutes or more, or less and heat climbs into 220's and 230's. I get chatter in my heater hose at the tee housing the sensors. I actually see the hose vibrating. Also changed radiator cap. Put in original thermostat to see if it made any difference, but the same. Some times test drive is good for first 5 minutes, then temp climbs and engine does not run right. Engine runs normal when temp is 180 or less. I some times see temp drop down close to 170's, but doesn't last long, goes right back up. I might pull tee section (containing both temp sensors) off to see if any pump impellers logged in this section. Strange that the heater hose would chatter. Any one out there run into something like this? With my luck I don't think some one who has. By the way this is a great web site, fixed problems with this resource.

Well, looks like I caused this problem by having reversed the upper 2 hoses leading to the steel pipes. After reviewing the the old hoses I realized I made the mistake. She is up and running again. This has been the most dependable car I have ever owned and can not complain about this type of problem after 200K. Thanks for the suggestion any way, just had to get passed myself this time. This web site has answered more questions then I can remember from electrical to mechanical. Great to be a part of it, Robby1.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts