Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have a 96 taurus. replaced struts, ball joints on passenger front. In putting back on the outer tie rod my castle bolt just spins with my castle nut....which wasn't the way it was when I had replaced this part a few months ago. Does this mean I may need to replace the outer tie rod again?

Also for what its worth I had purchased a strut(s) at auto zone and had worked 10+ hours in trying to get it seated into the knuckle. Had the bottom of strut in the top of the hole but it would never slip down. read lots of great suggestions and videos on it. Tore it apart to discover base of strut had a weld nub where it had contiually been getting hung up. Got another strut and it slid right in. Check and file strut bottoms before trying to insert I guess is the lesson there.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Not sure if you should replace tie rod again but i usually slip an open end wrench under the nut to help seat the ball joint till it's tight enough to tighten

·
Premium Member
1,300 Posts
Does the stem swivel frictionless as you move it with your hand? If not, I would use it. If you keep pressure on the knuckle (the friction between the knuckle and the stem keeping the stem from spinning), you may be able to tighten the nut. In the worst case, tighten as much as you can, and drive to a friend who has an impact wrench. LIGHTLY trigger the impact wrench.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts