Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I forgot to post this up when I changed the oil a couple of weeks ago (right before vacation), but when I was down there I noticed that the passenger's side cv boot's got a crack in it.

I've read up on what will happen to the cv joint if this isn't fixed so what I wanted to ask is how much do you guys think it will be to have the boot replaced by a mechanic? Otherwise, how hard would it be for me to do it? Also, I've seen the split/zip type boots and I've read on other forums about the pros and cons of using such things, but what about you guys?

I'd like to get this replaced ASAP, and I've checked the grease that has leaked out and so far, its not gritty or filled with little rocks and stuff. Also, there's no clicking or clunking whenever I'm accelerating or braking, or when I turned the steering wheel all the way in either direction, so the cv joint is ok for the time being. I basically just wrapped some aluminum tape and ducting tape over the cv boot for now but I need to get this done by this week.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I have used the split boots before with good luck. However, only use one if you are positive there is no water or foriegn objects in the joint. Or as a temporary fix. Replacing the boot your self is not very hard and doesn't require any special tools, at least I have never used any.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I've never known anyone to have good luck with the split boot repair kit. Maybe they're ok for low milage local driving... but I'm afraid of 'em.

Back when half shafts were expensive I used to pull my own [drive axles], disassemble, clean, repack (new greese) the CV joints and replace the boot right. That was about a three hour job.

Now, Gen-I & Gen-II half shafts are around $40 ~ $50 each. I just swap the whole thing. Also, since CV Joints will sometimes develop some play after 100K ~ 150K miles (causing frontend vibration during acceleration), I'd (again) just as soon replace the whole thing at the first sign of trouble.

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
I would put in a rebuilt half shaft. Usually under $100.

·
Premium Member
1,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hmm...thanks for another option guys - I've been thinking of the labor involved for the mechanic (Im not looking forward to lying on the ground in this weather) and it might be quicker (ie cheaper) to just replace the whole halfshaft instead of going through the trouble of replacing just the boot.

I'll keep you guys updated when I get an estimate in the next couple of days...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts