Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I've had the Taurus over 3 years, and 118k miles, I decided it was time to unload. I didn't care to put more $ and time into it, if I'm getting rid of it in another year or two anyway. A couple of times, I thought I noticed what seemed like the tq starting to slip, so it was time to jump ship. I was getting tired of it anyway. They tried to low ball my trade, by offering only $2,900 at first! It did have some minor bumper scoffs and a ding in the rear cover. I got $4k trade for it.

I bought a leftover new '10 Hyundai Accent GLS for only $11,700, just in time before $4 gas comming this summer. I got $4,000 off msrp, and 3.9% for 60 months, so my payments are dirt cheap, less than what was left of the FMC loan, Hyundai even has gap coverage for $2 per month. My insurance went up only $2 more per month than the Taurus, I was surprised. It's a 5 speed, like I wanted, has a/c, and free xm raido for 90 days, I finaly have a usb ipod jack built in. The fit and finish on this cheap scootabout puts my old Taurus to shame. I'm taking it back to the dealer to have cruise control and tint put on. I looked at the Fiesta, it costs more, was much smaller inside, and there was a few missalined trim pieces. It's not a penalty box compaired to the Taurus, but of course it isn't as quiet, or as stable in a cross wind, like most tiny cars. I couldn't pass up the deal. Anybody know of a good Hyundai forum?

·
Cake monster
1,584 Posts
Well, I've had the Taurus over 3 years, and 118k miles, I decided it was time to unload. I didn't care to put more $ and time into it, if I'm getting rid of it in another year or two anyway. A couple of times, I thought I noticed what seemed like the tq starting to slip, so it was time to jump ship. I was getting tired of it anyway. They tried to low ball my trade, by offering only $2,900 at first! It did have some minor bumper scoffs and a ding in the rear cover. I got $4k trade for it.

I bought a leftover new '10 Hyundai Accent GLS for only $11,700, just in time before $4 gas comming this summer. I got $4,000 off msrp, and 3.9% for 60 months, so my payments are dirt cheap, less than what was left of the FMC loan, Hyundai even has gap coverage for $2 per month. My insurance went up only $2 more per month than the Taurus, I was surprised. It's a 5 speed, like I wanted, has a/c, and free xm raido for 90 days, I finaly have a usb ipod jack built in. The fit and finish on this cheap scootabout puts my old Taurus to shame. I'm taking it back to the dealer to have cruise control and tint put on. I looked at the Fiesta, it costs more, was much smaller inside, and there was a few missalined trim pieces. It's not a penalty box compaired to the Taurus, but of course it isn't as quiet, or as stable in a cross wind, like most tiny cars. I couldn't pass up the deal. Anybody know of a good Hyundai forum?
I like Hyundai cars, I've never owned one but their newer models look nice. Though, I don't care for the looks of Accent at all. To each his own I guess. How's the ride feel, does it have more guts than the Taurus?

·
Registered
23,363 Posts
Austex04, google hyundai and/or accent car forums, im sure youll find something. Shoz123 (Paul) has an accent. Dont be a stranger here!

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Thanks! The Accent seems to ride nice for a tiny car, it acually seems to absorb bumps better than the Taurus did, however, since it's a much shorter wheelbase, it does have some of the small car jitters over rough roads. The Accent with the manual has about the same guts as the Taurus did, although I'm not pushing it, since it only has 100 miles on it, at least the engine is more willing to rev than the Vulcan. The Mazda2 I drove rode horrably compaired to the Accent, and was $4k more. I wanted the '11 Elantra, but they sold them as soon as they got them, and the Accent was just under $12k with the rebate and dealer discount, where the Elantra didn't have those discounts. I plan on keeping it 4-6 years, then maybe move up to the Elantra, but the Accent is really all the car I need, and I wanted a manual 5 sp. Tomorrow I'm getting the tint done, and next week I go back to the dealer to have cruise control installed. While I'm waiting for the dealer to install cruise, they're putting me into a free loaner, even though it will take 4-5 hrs for the install. I guess I bought from a good dealer, there was no sales pressure as well. My boss is from India, and he said the Accent is very popular and reliable over there, it's considered a full size car in that market!

·
Cake monster
1,584 Posts
Thanks! The Accent seems to ride nice for a tiny car, it acually seems to absorb bumps better than the Taurus did, however, since it's a much shorter wheelbase, it does have some of the small car jitters over rough roads. The Accent with the manual has about the same guts as the Taurus did, although I'm not pushing it, since it only has 100 miles on it, at least the engine is more willing to rev than the Vulcan. The Mazda2 I drove rode horrably compaired to the Accent, and was $4k more. I wanted the '11 Elantra, but they sold them as soon as they got them, and the Accent was just under $12k with the rebate and dealer discount, where the Elantra didn't have those discounts. I plan on keeping it 4-6 years, then maybe move up to the Elantra, but the Accent is really all the car I need, and I wanted a manual 5 sp. Tomorrow I'm getting the tint done, and next week I go back to the dealer to have cruise control installed. While I'm waiting for the dealer to install cruise, they're putting me into a free loaner, even though it will take 4-5 hrs for the install. I guess I bought from a good dealer, there was no sales pressure as well. My boss is from India, and he said the Accent is very popular and reliable over there, it's considered a full size car in that market!
Here's an interesting article on breaking engines: Break In Secrets--How To Break In New Motorcycle and Car Engines For More Power

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I did drive it a bit hard the first 15 miles (it already had 16 miles). I know about the rings and cylinder walls. Right now, my goal is to stay between 2-4k rpms. I vary my speed, I'll speed up fast, coast in gear, then speed back up again (to create more cylinder pressure). I'm doing my first oil change early, at 3k miles instead of 7500.

·
Super Moderator
8,590 Posts
Congrats on the new car!! The Korean cars used to be total piles of junk when first sold here in north america in the 90s, but their recent offerings have amazing features and quality. It will be nice getting 50% better gas mileage than your Bull! Sounds like you got a great deal on the new car also.

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
I read car publications daily. I am starting to take Hyundais seriously too. They have been making some bold designs recently, like the Genesis sedan and coupe, the all new Sonata, etc. The new Sonata has 35mpg highway rating with a 200hp 4-cylinder engine! Hybrid gets >50mpg, and there is a 270HP 4-cylinder turbo version. Impressive. They have changed from a company that copies others to being one that sets a new standard. Though, I must say Ford has been improving a lot too. Fusion, Fiesta, and the new Taurus sell very well. Fusion is actually being replaced or re-skinned some time soon.

It's easy to mock the gen 3 and gen 4 Taurus. The early gen 3 with DOHC V6 and SHO V8 engines, and its premium audio options was really ahead of the curve back in 96-97. Then the accountants took over Ford's engineering department and redesigned it into rental fleet vehicle, at the time when everyone else was adding 5-speed transmissions, better interiors, and engines with variable valve timing. By year 2000, Accord/Altima were well ahead of the Taurus. The rest was history.

I keep my Taurus for the cost considerations. Things break all the time, but at least I have no monthly payments. I will reconsider the costs once the gas price gets to $4. Getting 16mpg in city is indeed kind of ridiculous. I kind of wish that by the time I need to buy a new car my bull would qualify for some kind of cash for clunkers/gas-guzzlers government program.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm killing time waiting for the tint. I found a place that has a $99 special on lifetime tint on a small car. Yeah, it does suck to be stuck with payments again, but at least it's only 5.9% apr, and the mpgs help make up for it. It was only $28 to fill up the Accent. 16mpg in the Taurus? Mine used to get 22mpg around town with the Vulcan. When was your last tune up?

·
Cake monster
1,584 Posts
I read car publications daily. I am starting to take Hyundais seriously too. They have been making some bold designs recently, like the Genesis sedan and coupe, the all new Sonata, etc. The new Sonata has 35mpg highway rating with a 200hp 4-cylinder engine! Hybrid gets >50mpg, and there is a 270HP 4-cylinder turbo version. Impressive. They have changed from a company that copies others to being one that sets a new standard. Though, I must say Ford has been improving a lot too. Fusion, Fiesta, and the new Taurus sell very well. Fusion is actually being replaced or re-skinned some time soon.

It's easy to mock the gen 3 and gen 4 Taurus. The early gen 3 with DOHC V6 and SHO V8 engines, and its premium audio options was really ahead of the curve back in 96-97. Then the accountants took over Ford's engineering department and redesigned it into rental fleet vehicle, at the time when everyone else was adding 5-speed transmissions, better interiors, and engines with variable valve timing. By year 2000, Accord/Altima were well ahead of the Taurus. The rest was history.

I keep my Taurus for the cost considerations. Things break all the time, but at least I have no monthly payments. I will reconsider the costs once the gas price gets to $4. Getting 16mpg in city is indeed kind of ridiculous. I kind of wish that by the time I need to buy a new car my bull would qualify for some kind of cash for clunkers/gas-guzzlers government program.
I think I get slightly better than 16 with my Windstar.

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
I see. I do have a heavy foot too. It has been more fun to rev the engine once I removed intake silencer and put K&N air filter. It also depends on how much stop and go traffic you do. I rarely have to drive on expressways recently.

·
Premium Member
2,124 Posts
Austex04, google hyundai and/or accent car forums, im sure youll find something. Shoz123 (Paul) has an accent. Dont be a stranger here!
his is a genesis unless he got another?

my friend bought an 09 sonata and is at 60k now and it is starting to show its age. he is lucky he got a warrenty with it from the dealer he got it from... the rear window regulator was making horrible sounds, the sunroof weatherstrip was falling off, brakes front and rear needed replacing, the rear suspension squeeks, the ipod cable has worn out, along with a few other things... im not won over by them yet, though they are getting better...

·
Cake monster
1,584 Posts
his is a genesis unless he got another?

my friend bought an 09 sonata and is at 60k now and it is starting to show its age. he is lucky he got a warrenty with it from the dealer he got it from... the rear window regulator was making horrible sounds, the sunroof weatherstrip was falling off, brakes front and rear needed replacing, the rear suspension squeeks, the ipod cable has worn out, along with a few other things... im not won over by them yet, though they are getting better...
A lot of newer GM cars seem to have really cruddy bearings for their serpentine pulleys. I've heard tons of them squealin' in parking lots, the ladies torrent next door was doing it badly not too long ago. I saw a really nice large GMC SUV that was in a shop for a transmission job very recently, friends 07 avalanche blew his tranny at 100,000KM. In the last month, I've seen two newer looking Honda's with bad sounding brakes. Honda has had block cracking issues recently, rear ends in newer F150s don't tend to last, the cam phasers in the 5.4 go out.

I don't think any cars are getting more reliable. It seems the newer F150s still have trouble keeping a transmission for more than 100K. I think suspension designs have gotten more reliable than they have been in the past though. Vehicles suck.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Sorry that your friend had trim issues with the Sonata. I think there's a tsb about the rear suspension noise on the Sonatas and Elantras, and how to fix it. The ipod connectors are known to wear out in Hyundais, when the cables are continually plugged/unplugged, just like pc cables, but at least I have a ipod/usb input on this car. You can order new connectors for cheap, as parts are on these cars. Mine is pretty stripped out, has crank windows, manual locks, so it has little go wrong, no electronic throttle control, just classic simplicity. I do know the Accent has won best inital quality awards among the sub-compacts, and was a mechanics top pick for reliability. I have yet to find a flawed stitch, miss-alined trim piece, or any single flaw for that matter.

·
Registered
437 Posts
It's interesting to analyse ones cost of owning and running a car. Everyone's needs are diferent. I've always been a fairly low mileage person so the cost of fuel is not a huge factor. The biggest costs with any vehicle is depreciation, repairs and parts, insurance, resale value etc. As a Taurus guy, I find they fit the bill for overall costs. They are cheap to buy but you need a bit of luck with them. Bulls suck gas in the city but they are reasonable on the hiway and very cozy and safe. I also like the zippy little state of the art cars and 5 speed and 40 mpg but if you add it all up over a ten year period the cost of whatever you drive wont be much diferent.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts