Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 108 Posts

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Chevy is aiming the new Maibu at the Taurus. any thoughts? Just getting some discussion going for the new board...

·
Registered
369 Posts
That's why it's time to add the Taurus to the SVT list
. Heck, the F-150, Focus, and Contour are. Why can't the Taurus be??? We need to petition!!!

J

·
0 Posts
Malibu... PFFFFTT! what a joke! The new ones look like
and they are smaller than the Taurus, and they are not as powerful - I raced one before that said V6 and it was a ridiculous win (my win
)! The Impala could be some tough competition though, but I wouldn't worry about the Malibu.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Once again, SVT Taurus. Who agrees???

X

·
0 Posts
Originally posted by biteableniles+Dec 8 2003, 02:15 PM-->QUOTE (biteableniles @ Dec 8 2003, 02:15 PM)
<!--QuoteBegin-XLSuruaT
@Dec 8 2003, 05:02 PM
Ford should be ashamed to have the malibu as a direct competitor
Me-ow.

Impala is our direct competitor. Malibu is crap.[/b]

I was at edmunds looking for the competitors and I clicked on the video. Damn, they hated the gen3 taurus :roflmao:

·
Registered
54 Posts
SVT?....yes it would be sweet.....but what needs to happen is the re-awakening of the hybernating S H O!
oh yes, that would put that Impala SS right down the crapper!!
SHO for ever...SS...you hate life

·
Premium Member
425 Posts
I hate it when I hear the word Ford used in competitors commercials. It's degrading. Dodge and Chevy are A-holes. And, Malibu? What a crappy car! I wouldn't drive one even if it was given to me free of charge or any Chevy or Dodge for that matter. They can keep they're garbage.

Taurus is in desperate need of a real factory made SVT or SHO. How can Ford allow a Taurus in Nascar, but only allow nothing more than a 24v SES? What way to advertise a Taurus by having it seen on NASCAR and then being able to got to a Ford dealership and buy a SHO or SVT off the lot. What's up with this picture? Monte Carlos has their SS, Dodge has there R/T, and Grand Prix has their version (which will no longer be in Nextel Cup racing as of 2004).

I think Ford is missing a whole market by not offering a faster version of the Taurus. I think they are losing more money by not having a faster version of our car.

Nuff said

·
Registered
369 Posts
Amen to that.

·
Premium Member
5,359 Posts
Ford isn't losing any money by not selling a high performance Taurus. Other than the people on this board (90% of which would never be able to afford the car and 10% of which would think it's cool but not buy it) there's just no interest in it. Reason being there's no interest from performance spirited drivers in the Taurus. It's a rental car, and it takes on more rental car characteristics the more it is changed.

Part of this is due to Ford's lack of decent advertising. Chrysler puts more performance oriented advertising in their Caravan than Ford does in the Taurus. You never hear anything about 200 horsepower, suspension, etc. in a Taurus commercial, all you hear is how cheap the car is, how low the financing is, and how many of them there are on the road. Can you say conformist any other way? People want something fresh and new, this is why Nissan is gaining some ground and it's why Ford needs to rejuvenate themselves before they go under, because people are tired of seeing the same blah blah driving down the streets.

The Malibu? LOL. You can keep the ugly designed, tiny interior-ed, death trap pile of crap and the pushrods.

·
Registered
369 Posts
I hate Japanese Cars. I can't say it's the cars themselves, but the rice thing. The american car companies all around need to do something to attract the younger consumer market soon or the japs are gonna overrun this country with their tiny upside down bathtubs with tricycle wheels and highly whimpy engines!!!

·
Premium Member
425 Posts
Your opinion is noted, Twilight and it's your attitude is an example of why we haven't seen a change in favor of us. We can't just role over and accept the inevitable, otherwise if we accept the inevitable, then the Performance Taurus will be a thing of the past and just a nice idea.

Advertisements do in a way do some persuasion, but not all. When was the last time you saw a Monte Carlo SS commercial? You don't and you won't. If Ford wants to sell a car, they need to promote it better than what they did with the Taurus in the mid 90's. I don't think I ever saw a SHO commercial and the dealers never really pushed for sales, because they left it up to the consumer to order it. That was bad sales etiquette. On the other hand, if you went to a Chevy dealer, SS models were all over the lot. I rarely if ever went to a Ford dealership and found a SHO on the lot. It never happend. Ford took the easy road to make a quick buck off a cheaper assembly lines and screwed the consumer to satisfy the masses who only wanted a sedan with better gas mileage and strictly targeted the middle and above age class.

Many cars have made comebacks due to demand and it doesn't take millions to make a vehicle return or come back to life. It take persistance and dedication and tons of correspondence. Why should we leave it all up to the auto makers to make up our minds on what we get to choose from? We need to voice our opinion and actually be proactive. I won't accept that this is it and what's done is done.

The future is not set, so why let it be written. Changes have known to be made.

·
Premium Member
569 Posts
Your opinion is understandable, mykej27, but you seem to not realize that this is Ford you're talking about, and you're talking about their model fleet car. This isn't the Focus or one of their other 'toys' to play around with and hopefully please a niche market; the Taurus has and will always be marketed as a family car.

Plus, Ford (as well as alot of other companies, but..) isn't in the best of times. They want to maximize profits, and keeping around a performance version of a family car that has minimal margins is NOT in their interest, no matter how many Taurus lovers scream that they would buy the car (not many.)

Me? When I get enough money, I'm buying me an RX8 for the sportiness, and keeping a Taurus on the side. It would be nice to have a super-leet sports taurus around again, but thats not realistic.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Well said mykej27. Dodge for example has done just this by reintroducing the concept of the Hemi Engine into the market. And as they are only offered in trucks right now I think they will slowly work their way into their cars. Ford needs to do the same. For example, with the release of the '05 Mustang they should also redesign the Taurus to be a more sleak looking family car - not rental crap- and offer it with a high performance mustang engine option and call it the new SHO.

·
Premium Member
425 Posts
I watch a lot of Speed Channel and I like watching Motortrend. What gets me frustrated is seeing all these high performance sedans being made by almost every manufacture out there and we are stuck with a econo FFV fleet or an SES. WTF? I'm telling you, Ford is blind to think that no ones interested. They need to make people interested.

Well, I'm done complaining for today. Late!

·
Registered
411 Posts
Well, Ford is still making money on the Taurus/Sable, rental or not. Look at the 6 year 0% financing deals that were offered a short time ago. That is why I bought my Sable. The car sells to rental outlets and what not, and it is a good all around vehicle for confort, power and safety.

An SHO model would be nice, but would the market demand it? And besides, you could probably get a Mustang GT cheaper. The Taurus and Sable will be around for a while yet. Why? It still makes money and has paid for itsef.

The Malibu an the Malibu Maxx where you can siit sideways in the rear, not even in the same class, had one for a rental, not impressed at all.

Now on to the ever popular retuurning segment, the RWD V-8's. The only ones that are avaialble are the Crown Vic, Grand Marquis, Town Car and Marauder. These are becomming ever more popular again as more people want bigger cars and not SUV's or Vans. Now these cars are geared toward older people (OK, I own one and I'm not even 30) and are making a great deal of money for Ford.

However, Chrysler has a trick up its sleeve, as most of us know, the Dodge intrepid, Concorde and 300M are Gone after 2004, no more FWD V-6. Chrysler will instead be going to the 300C and New Intrepid which will be RWD and standard V-6, Optional 5.7 Hemi V-8.

This is going to throw a monkey wrench to Ford, so we shall see what happens.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
ONE of the reasons the sho stopped production is the cam problem on the v-8. Ford quietly stopped making the car with the design change for 2000 and didn't have to admit a fialed design by changing it or going back to a v-6 for a gen IV SHO. and they also didn't want to have to fix the cars that have failed.

1 - 20 of 108 Posts