Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ordered my remote starter today. Viper 160XV for $90 off ebay. The only thing is that I need the bypass module to make it work. Here's my dilemma: do I have to have a DEI module like this, or can I get this universal module? If possible, I'd like to get the universal because it's cheaper, but I want to make sure that it will work with the Viper system. Anybody know?

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Brad

·
Premium Member
661 Posts
Spend the extra money and get the DEI mod. Anyone that knows anything about this stuff will tell you that the DEI is the best and most reliable(NO!!! I do not rep DEI). Anyone that tells you that there is no difference should get out of the 12 Volt industry if they are in it and should proceed directly to Taco Bell and ask for an application.

·
Premium Member
2,090 Posts
Well, i disagree, as im in nthe industry. I agree some are the best, some are just as good as others, and some plain suck.

For example....

DEI 555j, is average, as where code alarms version (audiovox) is better as it supports more.

The DEI 555u 556u /557u is a hare better then others, but i have yet to have another module have an issue.

The DEI 555F is a piece of crap! As well as the 555s. Any other manufacturers has less alignment problems.

Im not trying to hijack the thread, but trying to prove a point. Some of this is opinion baised, some factual. But i report this baised on knowing from installing countless of them myself.

IJust so you dont get the wrong impression, i think Directed makes some of the best stuff out there (except 2 way alarms)

Brad :)

·
Premium Member
661 Posts
I agree about the 2 way comment. And have you ever noticed that you and I bump heads on here more times than not? My first post was not directed at you...but you probably knew that. I now call on over 200 hundred different dealers, over a 3 and a half State radius. I am privey to certain info and details that most people are not. I deal with factory reps, tech guys and R&D staff for some of the largest 12 Volt companies in the world. "You ask me if I have a God complex...let me tell you...I am God!!!" Sorry, that was a cheesy line from an Alec Baldwin movie, it just seem to fit while I was on my soap box. But anyway, "You want the truth? You can't handle the the truth!!!" Sorry again, another cheesy line seemed to fit. The thing is I see a bigger spectrum than most people do. There is a difference between installing say 100 units yourself and knowing 100 installers that have installed 100 units each. My comments may always come off as biased, but they are based on real world results and application.

Anyway...

DEI has a lower failure rate than any other manufacturer out there. I rep Audiovox/Code and I would still take a DEI interface over one of theirs. I honestly think DEI makes the best overall interfaces being made today. As for their security systems, well that is a topic for a great debate in itself. But their interfaces are bulletproof. And if you ask any installer and they would say the same. There are just certain place I don't think it is a good place to save money and this is one. Especially since it is only $29.00. That is cheap for piece of mind.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts