Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few summers ago someone broke into my car when I was at work. They dented up the drivers door pretty well with a sledge hammer trying to get in. Long story short, Fords ended up fixing the damage and now the doors on the driver side are orange peel city on the lower panels. Question is how can I get rid of the orange peel where they painted before I wax the car this summer because the fenders and the rest of the doors are smooth as glass? Maybe wet sanding? Because it's bad, you can rub your hand across the door and feel the ripple. There not quite that competent out there at dealership, I took it back twice to try to resolve the issue. First time there was big runs in the paint, second time there was a crease added to the center of the back door(which wasn't damaged to begin with and they broke my rear door window seal which is now not even fastened to the car it just hangs there). Moral is I'm never taking it back to the dealer for body work. But anyways what methods would work for a dyi job to remove the orange peel?

·
Premium Member
2,124 Posts
wet sanding or repainting although i believe it is better (or easier) to wetsand between coats

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So I pretty much have to sand the paint off the lower door just to fix the problem Fords caused?

·
Premium Member
2,124 Posts
you coultry wet sanding it it should be a lot better. could ask a23dranger he is more suited to answer this question correctly lol

·
Registered
179 Posts
I would recommend against a novice wet standing clearcoated pain. It is way too easy to sand right through the clear into the base coat. Also, you state that the shop that painted the car is terrible. It is quite likely that the defect may be in the base itslelf, meaning that nothing you do to the clear is going to help.

I see 2 choices here. Learn to live with it or pay to get it professionally repaired. Since you say it has been a while since the repair, it's probably too late to make the dealership pay for the repair.

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
Take your time and find a good, reputable shop. The mechanics files on CarTalk's website isn't a bad place to start. Call around to dealers that lack a bodyshop and ask who they outsource to. Plead your case with the bodyshop, they might help you out a bit on the cost of having it redone :) Does your insurance company provide a warranty on the work done?

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
QUOTE (Rock Strongo @ Mar 2 2009, 06:06 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=704706
I would recommend against a novice wet standing clearcoated pain. It is way too easy to sand right through the clear into the base coat. Also, you state that the shop that painted the car is terrible. It is quite likely that the defect may be in the base itslelf, meaning that nothing you do to the clear is going to help.

I see 2 choices here. Learn to live with it or pay to get it professionally repaired. Since you say it has been a while since the repair, it's probably too late to make the dealership pay for the repair.[/b]
It was supposed to be professionally repaired. It was a Ford body shop and quite a large one at that. They repainted my dad's explorer sport trac and it came out like brand new. And the shop was one covered by my insurance company. To repair the door and repaint it it took them two and a half weeks and I had an appointment made. Car was supposed to be done within a week. I had to rent three separate cars out of my pocket because everytime I went back to pick up my car I found something else wrong with the paint. Finally after the third time picking up the vehicle (with plans to be leaving the state for vacation the very next day) I took it home. They will never do body work for me again.

QUOTE (Bull Geek @ Mar 2 2009, 06:43 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=704728
Take your time and find a good, reputable shop. The mechanics files on CarTalk's website isn't a bad place to start. Call around to dealers that lack a bodyshop and ask who they outsource to. Plead your case with the bodyshop, they might help you out a bit on the cost of having it redone :) Does your insurance company provide a warranty on the work done?[/b]
No the insurance company wouldn't warranty the work anyways. I was really hoping it wouldn't have to be repainted again. But it looks like I don't have much choice. I'll check around with my local shops. Hopefully it won't cost a fortune.

·
Registered
671 Posts
QUOTE (Rock Strongo @ Mar 2 2009, 05:58 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=704706

I see 2 choices here. Learn to live with it or pay to get it professionally repaired. Since you say it has been a while since the repair, it's probably too late to make the dealership pay for the repair.[/b]
+1, well said. It all really depends on how thick the clear coat is on the finish. Also, without seeing the painted panels in person, it's difficult to tell if the base coat is the culprit and/or if it's just intense orange peel in the clear. I would seek a professional detailer that can accurately measure the amount of clear coat that is available to work with.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts