Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i currently have the axod-e metric transmission on my vulcan. It's got all the symptoms that it will fail sometime soon. I was curious whether or not I have to replace the tranny with another axod-e or are there better transmissions i could put in there. thanks

·
Registered
671 Posts
QUOTE (joelhiers @ Jun 2 2010, 11:02 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=808885
i currently have the axod-e metric transmission on my vulcan. It's got all the symptoms that it will fail sometime soon. I was curious whether or not I have to replace the tranny with another axod-e or are there better transmissions i could put in there. thanks[/b]
There are multiple topics about this. The AX4S is the older brother of the AXOD-E. The AX4N was the stronger replacement for it. The Gen 3 had some AX4N's in the vulcan, so you'd need to grab the y-pipe to clear it properly. You'd also need the PCM out of the same gen car with the AX4N to get it to shift properly. The AX4S has a shift position for OD, whereas IIRC the 4N doesn't, and I believe there's a button to enable OD. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong. There's other stuff that would need to be implemented as well. It can be done, but it'll take a lot of work, similar to an engine swap. If you're mechanically and electrically inclined, and you want the project to take up some time, then it'll be a decent upgrade. Otherwise, you'll come out ahead if you just get a trans-go shift kit thrown into a used 4S and off you go. This is all for G3/4 vehicles. If you have a G1/2, the 4N will be an adventure of epic proportions.

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
QUOTE (joelhiers @ Jun 2 2010, 11:02 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=808885
i currently have the axod-e metric transmission on my Vulcan. It's got all the symptoms that it will fail sometime soon. I was curious whether or not I have to replace the tranny with another axod-e or are there better transmissions i could put in there. thanks[/b]
Simple answer is have your AX4S rebuilt.

if your on a budget, find a used lower mile unit and have it replaced.

A AX4N can be swapped in, but its a lot of work and many other parts have to be changed.
Check out the current thread of a guy doing just that.

Or find a wrecked car and swap both the engine and trannie in together...

There are always Taurus out on Craigs list and such for parts.

Whats yours doing now?

bob

1 - 4 of 4 Posts