Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I didn't see any topics about this and i just wondered everyone's opinion on this. Does anyone think it would be awesome if ford gave the taurus the 3.7L engine that comes in the Edge Sport? i mean if you think about it ending in 95, you could get the 3.8 as an optional engine in the taurus in the higher models.

Now i know it was definitely a turn when ford added the SHO back to the lineup. IMO ecoboost sounds like a freaking hybrid. Now i know we have to think "green", but give the SHO its muscle back. Don't call it the energy saving ecoboost engine, call it the screamer, sleeper, SUPER HIGH OUTPUT!! for cripes sake. Keep a legend, AS the legend. :salute:
But i digress, I think it would be a good idea if Ford gave the taurus sel/limited an option of having the 3.7 l in it (hell if you even bumped it up .1 liter to make it a 3.8 just like the good old days). The 3.5L is plenty powerful don't get me wrong but i guess its just an extra perk to what gives the taurus a jolt. Plenty, if not all, people always consider engine size as a major decision in car buying. Now no way in hell would i buy a taurus if it was a 4 cylinder(which i know they've considered doing to the taurus...no no ford) But im sure you guys catch what im trying to get at. Even though it's somewhat minimal, i think that would give a more of a classic taurus feeling to the now a days taurus.

What do you guys think? Have i lost my entire mind or does this sound like it would be worth it?

2012 Ford Taurus SE
3.5L V6
263HP
249tq

2012 Ford Taurus SEL
3.7L V6
305HP
280tq

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
From what I have been reading, it sounds like the Taurus will have some kind of 4 cylinder EcoBoost option and the standard issue 3.5L V6, and then the EcoBoost V6. The EcoBoost nomenclature does sound kinda goofy for a high performance car, but if it helps sells them, all the more power to them.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's too bad IMO that ford would want to give the taurus a 4 cylinder engine. it would be a huge change for the taurus name plate.(we see how well the I-4 lasted in the 80's) I do understand that it may help them sell, but i mean dodge isn't using "ECOCENTRIC 5.7L v8" they are keeping the legendary name HEMI, and they sell ya know. People that want muscle, will buy muscle. It just bemuses me.

·
Super Moderator
8,732 Posts
That's too bad IMO that ford would want to give the taurus a 4 cylinder engine. it would be a huge change for the taurus name plate.(we see how well the I-4 lasted in the 80's) I do understand that it may help them sell, but i mean dodge isn't using "ECOCENTRIC 5.7L v8" they are keeping the legendary name HEMI, and they sell ya know. People that want muscle, will buy muscle. It just bemuses me.
The original 2.5 HSC Taurus engine from the 80s was an ancient design even then and put out, what, 90Hp? Things have come a long way since then. If a high boost turbo 4 ever comes in a modern Bull, I would guess a minumum of 200 HP, possibly 250 or a bit more. Thats the way the world is going in the quest for fuel economy..... small displacement high boost turbo engines for power + economy. Of course with added complexity = added chances for failures.

And, as I am sure you know, the HEMI isnt a HEMI anyway. Much closer to a pent roof chamber design than hemispherical. Just the marketing guys cashing in on the legendary hemi name and the lack of automotive knowledge of the general public.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts