Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys, i'm wantin to see if there are any experts out there (in other words, all of you, cuz i'm a newb
) that can help me out. i'm wanting to know what the best way to install 2 12" subs in the back of my taurus is to get the best db's... if you have a setup that you think is awesome in your gen III shoot me a holler on this post. thanks for your help.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Big ole' subs powered by a big ole' amp in a big ole' ported or vented box =0)

Where's Hoss at on this one?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Originally posted by DeJaVu@Feb 25 2004, 01:24 AM

lol.... great advice...
i'll be going with 2 12A's from Elemental Design powered by an avionixx 1200.1.. i guess what i was really asking is how i should position these subs in the trunk to get the best sound. plus i wanted any ideas on how to make a cool install.

·
Registered
369 Posts
I think one on the back right side and one on the back left and then angle them in at a 45 degree angle toward each other.

·
Registered
746 Posts
Originally posted by PaNtHeR3423+Feb 25 2004, 11:49 AM-->QUOTE (PaNtHeR3423 @ Feb 25 2004, 11:49 AM)
<!--QuoteBegin-DeJaVu
@Feb 25 2004, 01:24 AM

lol.... great advice...
i'll be going with 2 12A's from Elemental Design powered by an avionixx 1200.1.. i guess what i was really asking is how i should position these subs in the trunk to get the best sound. plus i wanted any ideas on how to make a cool install. [/b]
oh man, do i have some good advice for ya... but right now, i have class. but when i get back i can tell you what you need, and hopefully ill talk you out of your sub choice. the A's have their issues and if you want loud, those arent the way to go...

more news at 7

·
Registered
746 Posts
aight, well i got out of my lab early, so here is what i got for you...

if you are looking for maximm output out of 2 12"s you need a big ported box, with a good bit of port area. the bigger the box, the better. as for port area, you dont want too much, but you need enough to let the air move back and forth freely.

ill discuss your amp choice before your sub choice
. those subs will hold way more than 300 watts a piece, with two A's on one amp that is the most you would be getting because of your ohm load. i would suggst pushing them with 1000 watts a piece, 1500 if you know what you are doing. the reason i say this is because they will hold 1500 watts, but you have to know what you are doing and you have to know when the subs have had enough. 1000 watts is very safe for daily with those subs, you wont have a problem doing that. you might even consider getting a 1200.1 for each sub, or only getting one of the e12a's(this will give you a different ohm load and give max power from teh avionixx)...

ok, on to the subs. the A series does not have amazing SPL output, it puts out great, but there are others that will put out even more. if you are looking around the same price range, i would suggest looking here www.stereointegrity.com. right around the same cost as the A's, a slight lead in SQ, and a good lead in SPL. the stereo integrity subs will be louder in pretty much any install. another reason i would avoid the A's for SPL is because of their flat cone, they have had several problems with that. the flat cones tend to break fairly easily. they have had most of their problems with the 15"s, but the 12"s have had their fair share returned as well. this is the entire reason why elemental is changing all their cones on all their subs.

hope this helps out some, let me knwoif you have moe questions

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ok, i have a question... i can't exactly remember which is which... SQ is sound quality, and SPL is how just plain loud it can get??? or vice versa?? but anyway, what i'm wanting is not necessarily blow out your eardrums loud, but i want loud that is crisp.. i heard the 12A's were the best at that, but i have heard about their flat cones causing problems lately and that they are coming out with a redesigned A. so these Magnums are better? i've never heard of em, i'll have to check em out (thx for the link by the way)... if i come up with any more questions i'll get back at ya...

·
Registered
746 Posts
cool deal man, if you look at the specs between the A's and the magnums you will see that they are pretty close. if you want crisp bass, both subs will work, the mags are IMO crisper and punchier. stereo integrity is still fairly small, kind of the new kid on the block, have been around a little over a year.

and yeah, SQ is sound quality, which means how well it will sound, and SPL means sound pressure level, which is how loud it will get.

just let me know if you have any questions about them, and feel free to contact anyone from over at stereo integrity as well, they can answer lots of questions for you.

·
Registered
183 Posts
use a ported box. usually the company will tell you that they reccomend a certian ft. volume. go with or close to the smallest reccomended size. you will get more SQ in a 2 ft ported box that a 4 ft one. also if it still isnt crisp enough just buy som good hitting 6x9 and put them in a 6x9 box. it helps believe it or not

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
awesome... hey thanks for all your help... us newbs appreciate you guys!!!! i'll be sure to keep posting if i ever have any more questions...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts