Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,439 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there such a thing as optimal back pressure? If so could it be mechanically controlled or would it require more than a spring and a flapper valve set to a PSI?

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
A tune can get around it. The back pressure changes will change the MAF calibration.

Depends on what you are wanting. Low down power can be improved with more back pressure but then you high speed will get cut down. Or low back pressure will help the high speed and hurt the low end.

·
Premium Member
1,439 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
QUOTE (SHOZ123 @ Mar 15 2009, 08:48 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=708954
A tune can get around it. The back pressure changes will change the MAF calibration.

Depends on what you are wanting. Low down power can be improved with more back pressure but then you high speed will get cut down. Or low back pressure will help the high speed and hurt the low end.[/b]
I'm just thinking about how to get both. Of course, I don't know **** about cars. I know tubes and valves and pressure and how gases move.

If I understand you correctly, for back pressure to be effective the intake and out take (er... Exhaust) have to work together. Just a simple pressure valve in the exhaust that would open/close to maintain X pressure at all times wouldn't be sufficient?

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
I think Nissan had some sort of muffler that did that. But then you would have to figure out how to adjust the MAF curve for when the exhaust changed states.

·
Premium Member
1,439 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Understood. The Taurus/Sable doesn't actively know the exhaust state/measure it? I assume it only knows the intake?

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
IIRC, there's a muffler called the "Varex" VARiableEXhaust

Its main job is to eliminate excessive noise due to an open exhaust (lower back pressure) but closes a butterfly valve to go to a Quiet (higher back pressure?) sound. The difference in sound is highly noticeable.

This might work Only problem would be to find a way to cut down on noise.. and pollution....I'm coming up with a solution for that.

[attachment=28844:cuttoff.PNG]

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,439 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I was thinking of just a simple spring loaded valve that opened the exhaust to an open pipe on the passenger side via a Y at the axle.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
QUOTE (2000Sable @ Mar 16 2009, 08:39 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=709149
I was thinking of just a simple spring loaded valve that opened the exhaust to an open pipe on the passenger side via a Y at the axle.[/b]
Essentially a waste gate used in turbo systems.

For those that dont know.

A Wastegate regulates turbo pressure so they turbo doesnt over produce pressure the engine cannot handle.

a Blow off valve releases the built up pressure from the engine running closed and the turbo still spinning.

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
QUOTE (2000Sable @ Mar 16 2009, 08:56 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=709158
Would there be any benefit to a waste gate on a non-turbo engine?[/b]

If you want to control back pressure utilizing an ECT Wastegate would be a good idea, but the effects would probably be negligible.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts